Building tie rods with those external S and X plates

I'm not getting anywhere googling on this, not exactly DIY either but what the hell. Does anyone know the technical term for those tie rods used on old buildings with bulging walls etc.? More specifically I'm interested in how the steel bars were heated, then the nuts tightened, and on cooling produced the inwards tension. Was it just steam jackets or was it higher temperatures from an exothermic chemical reaction.?

Reply to
N Cook

When we fitted them to our house, there was no heating - the structural engineer simply specified a torque to tighten the nuts to, that's all.

Reply to
Grunff

My understanding too. Big nuts on the ends. Structural engineer tells me the ones here are redundant - the bars can be wobbled. I guess they stuck them in just in case.

Reply to
dom

The message from Grunff contains these words:

All those I've ever seen have had big nuts on the end. I've never heard of them being heated.

Reply to
Guy King

If you did need to heat them surely you'd just work along wth a blowlamp or similar, or 2 blokes with 2 blowlamps each?

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

You just tighten them. They are not really there to get the building back to shape, just to stop it getting into worse shape..

I don't think heat comes into it at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher