Building regulations for windows/fire saftey

Hi I'm getting new UPVC windows fitted to my first floor Maisonette.

I plan to make a bigger bathroom by blocking off the kitchen entrance into the hall and making the kitchen entrance via the lounge (which has access to the hall).

I was told by the building control officer I needed to make the kitchen window max 1100mm from the floor and a clear opening of 450x750 so it can be used as a fire escape. Currently it's 1100mm to the bottom of the window sill, so it looks like I'm gonna have to remove a layer of bricks. Do you think they would be this fussy about it?

However, after chatting with some guys at work, they said the windows would have to be kept clear as well, ie nothing in front of them. Since I plan to put the kitchen sink in front of them, it sort of stuffs up my plan.

I've looked in the building regs and can't see any mention of this.

Can anyone please advise?

Kind Regards, Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Are you in Scotland ? Something like this came up a few months ago and I think it applied to Scotland only.

Reply to
G&M

Reply to
Mark

I can see nothing in the regs to preclude having a sink in front.

Those regs are peculiar anyway.

I asked the BCO how, since ny whole upstairs had to have sockets at such a height as to be reached by disabled people, these disabled people were going to jump through the 'clear opening'

He muttered something about 'its so the fire brigade can get in'

Ah well. I have a window with a basin in front of it in my upstairs bathrooms, and another that will have a bath, and the BCO is not at all interested.

I am also not far from Cambridge :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh OK, thanks, that's great news!

Actually I think it's easier to have a kitchen unit in front because it gives you a leg up on the way out :)

;)

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Then I believe you are not restricted in the way suggested.

Reply to
G&M

I talked with the building control guy again today and now he tells me there's no requirement for a fire window at all because the kitchen exits into the lounge which exits to the hall.

Apparently it's only a requirement if you have to go through the kitchen to get out of the building.

Maybe if I ring him up again next week I'll get a different story :)

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark