Building Regulations Certificate

It was going to change to 1 year after Building Control become aware, but I don't know if that happened. Building Control can intervene at any time if the structure is dangerous.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:mdl6a6$68t$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

When we had our extension build it was inspected at about 5 stages - including the all important excavation for the foundations.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

As others have said, documents like this are usually produced - and sent between solicitors - at the pre-contract stage, after an offer has been accepted.

Nevertheless, if I were the vendor, I think I'd probably be willing to show them to a potential buyer, if requested, to demonstrate good will.

If they didn't exist, I obviously wouldn't be able to do that - and I might hope that this buyer would go away, and a less fussy one come along.

Having to get them issued retrospectively would delay the sale - and might even be a show stopper if serious non-compliance problems were found - by which time the buyer would already have spent some money on legal fees.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in news:mdm8hq$oee$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Of course - it is not a guarantee - your problems were fixable though. If the footings were not to the correct depth then that would be more serious. With my inspection the footings were checked before any conrete was poured and then the footings were inspected before the walls were built - the RSJ instalation was checked before being covered up.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Having seen some inspections on mine where work has been subbed out, you do get stuff like "BCO: are the drains watertight?" "Builder: Yes", "BCO: OK then..."

Reply to
Tim Watts

There's a house for sale near us where the estate agents' particulars state that it comes with a 10 year local authority warranty. Actually Building Comtol haven't signed it off yet

Reply to
charles

/There's a house for sale near us where the estate agents' particulars state that it comes with a 10 year local authority warranty. Actually Building Comtol haven't signed it off yet /q

they don't give warranties in any case.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

The last building work done on my house was 35 years ago, and I certainly don't have any certificates (and don't think I evre did), although I might just have a copy of the plans with an official reference number on, if I can find them, which I wouldn't take bets on.

How far back do we have to go in producing any paperwork like this when we sell a property?

Reply to
Davidm

I know that too - but will the prospective purchaser?

Reply to
charles

/How far back do we have to go in producing any paperwork like this when we sell a property? /q

Istr 4 years for building Ctrl (unless 'dangerous')

10years for pp.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Sounds like the seller is hiding something or not wanting to sell.

Reply to
ARW

/Sounds like the seller is hiding something or not wanting to sell./q

Agreed. Tell em to email copies or you'll just move right on. Or if you like the house, retrospective Building Ctrl is possible - at the sellers expense before contracts exchange, of course...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Or you do what most purchasers do which is go ahead anyway if you really want it.

Reply to
Capitol
   /     Or you do what most purchasers do which is go ahea d anyway if you really want it./q

And live with the consequences of course.... Caveat emptor etc..

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In message , JimK writes

For Building reg and planning permissions - probably no consequences.

Building regs - the LA has 2 years from completion in which to enforce compliance with the reg.

Planning it's 4 years.

Though it's not clear without going back to look up further what liability a new owner would have anyway.

The thing you do have to be careful of is listed building consent as there is no time limit on which action can be taken over that. I don't think a new owner could be liable for criminal prosecution, but they certainly could be forced to take remedial action re works that were done without consent.

Reply to
Chris French

For a casual enquiry it is quite sufficient that you just ask the question and the vendor tells you the answer. Nothing at all to worry about. Vendor's solicitor totally doing the right thing.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim w

Can she ask her local building control people (or search using the website)? You used to be able to do that here in Cambridge and look up the planning and BC approvals for any house.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I don't know about building regs but most planning authorities have their planning archive on-line. My Dad's application for an extension is on the council's website and that was in 1964. (No details though.) That won't cover permitted development extensions of course.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

It might. Here, Guildford, you have to submit an application to confirm that it is permitted development. It's interesting how many get told "no".

Reply to
charles