Building regulations.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Hugo Nebula saying something like:

It's hard to believe there are people so utterly stupid out there.

The basic idea of creating a basement isn't stupid, but I assume he dug right down past all the founds and just didn't think about it at all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Which becomes an issue when you want to sell the house. Legal staff involved in conveyancing are very keen to cover their backs these days. Last year we had a buyer's solicitor asking for Planning and Building Control documents for a shower room added in the mid-80s ... They dropped the insistence on Planning, but wouldn't be saitsifed on Building Control until I;d got our local BCO to write to them and tell them he only had enforcement powers for 12 mon ths after the completion of works.

Of course, if you think you'll never move, or are willing to chance it ... Works for me.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster