Building regs re internal height of shower cubicle?

Does anyone know if the building regs have any rulings about the internal height of a shower cubicle?

Thank you,

Drake

Reply to
Drake

Not that I am aware of.

I think its simply 'ultra vires' as far as the regs go,.

There are no regulations against avocado colored bathroom suites either.

The regulations are mainly health and safety at the core. Apart from the ones designed to placate the cripple lobby.

No one says you cant have a shower fit for only a dog, or a person in a wheelchair ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On the same note - I can't see anything in the building regs that specifies a minimum ceiling height in a dwelling - apart from a headroom requirement on stairs.

Reply to
dom

Yes - that's my impression too. I just wondered if there was some odd ruling about showers. Glad to hear there isn't.

Thanks, - to you and N.P.

Drake

Reply to
Drake

Other than over stairs, I don't think there is one.

Reply to
John Rumm

There is not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was there until about 20 years, but not to stop you banging your head on the ceiling. The reason it was originally put in and never changed for decades was to stop people being asphyxiated in gas-lit homes

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

Not now but there certainly used to be.

Quote from the 'Which' book "Extending Your House" published in the early 70s:

"...the ceiling of a habitable room must be at least 7 feet 6 inches above the finished floor level. The headroom in a bay window must be at least 6 feet 6 inches."

Reply to
Roger

Stairs, landings and also the approach to the foot of the stairs IIRC.

We certainly thanked the regs when it came time to move the furniture upstairs into the new loft conversion. It needed all of the required headroom to turn the beds on the half-landing and again at the top.

Reply to
Ian White

The rule had not long gone when I started working for myself drawing plans - mainly loft conversions. There were a few where there was really not enough headroom but by some creative structural design I managed to get around 2.2m, but there was one where 2m was as good as it got. I raised this with the occupiers and they were unfazed, pointing out that they were only 5'3" or so ... but of course anyone my height would have walked into the room and thought it useless

Reply to
Tony Bryer

From unburnt coal gas if the lamp went out?

Reply to
Andy Hall

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tony Bryer saying something like:

Ah, that's the reason? I thought it was something to do with headroom in a room full of smoke. I notice since the deletion of the requirement that many new houses have lower ceilings than previously, so the builders are certainly taking advantage of the lack of required height.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No, just from the products of combustion - remember this was in coal gas days when boilers sooted up from the sulphur etc.

Reply to
Tony Bryer