Building regs question.

Hi All,

Just thought I'd get some advice here before I speak to the local BCO - I'm planning convert a 'basement' room and I'm unsure whether I need to submit a building regulations notice. The house is a bungalow, and is built on a slope so there is a room underneath the front half of the house that is at ground level at that point, and that rooms only entrance is from outside. When we bought the house (about 9 months ago) it was described as a 'garden room', and is completely unfinished, with just bare ceiling joists and block walls. Basically I want to divide the room into two with a stud wall and door, and plaster the walls and ceiling to make it into a separate cinema room and games room. There are two windows in the room now, and when separated would leave one window in each room.

Firstly, would this be classed as 'change of use' and require Planning Permission, and secondly is this work likely to require a building notice to be submitted?

Now, even if the changes above won't require a building regs notice, I plan to replace the existing french doors, and windows at some point, and I understand that I would need to submit a notice for those in any case. As it's likely that I'll want to replace some windows in the rest of the house at some point, as well as do a whole load of wiring that now comes under Part P, and maybe other stuff too, wouldn't it make sense to submit a building regs notice for everything I can possibly think I might want to do, so I only pay the fee once instead of every time I want to do some work? As far as I can tell there is only a time limit on starting the works, and not on finishing?

Thanks, Ben

Reply to
Ben Willcox

Possibly, it depends on whether the room is currently regarded as habitable space. The euphemism of 'garden room' and the fact the room is unfinished suggests that it isn't, and PP may be required. You should get a Certificate of Permitted Development from the council if PP is not required, to prove that you complied with everything.

Yes, certainly. Subdividing a room is notifiable work. You may also have to comply with insulation (thermal and noise), ventilation, means of escape, etc.

Yes, but you will not be able to get a completion certificate until

*all* the works are completed. If you were thinking this could take a couple of years, and you found you had to sell in a hurry (work-related move, perhaps) you'd have the hassle of revising the application or completeing all the work, to get the completion certificate to please any potential buyer.

Pass.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

if it involves structural or other work requiring completion certificate by BR

as was ours

each window will need to be a minimum size for escape purposes, can't remember off hand what that is but it's no that big

ours didn't because it is within the building, it was originally bare with no floor or ceiling

not sure, we did because I was removing a supporting wall to enlarge the basement btw, if you're putting in downlighters make sure you get the ones with the built on fire proof shroud, cost me an extra £500 just for the shrouds

you'll need planning permission for windows

maybe, depends on the charges set by your planning office, they should be on the form it may be better to break it down into smaller jobs with lower estimated costs per job. I (optomistically) submitted a cost of £3.1k, and paid £120 istead of £300+, the job worked out at £5.5k in the end that would have taken me to the higher payment

I'm pretty sure the BCO said it's 3 or 5 years to start the work but no limit on finishing I started 18 months after submitting building consent

Reply to
in2minds

Thanks Owain. My situation seems to be very similar to 'in2minds' post, so think I should be alright on that front.

OK, sounds pretty clear cut and I can't say I'm surprised.

Ok I imagined this might be the case. I don't plan to move in the forseeable future, so I'm not too worried about the timescale for the completion certificate.

Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben Willcox

Both windows are quite large, so I can't see that being a problem. At one point I had considered maybe blocking up the window in the cinema room permanently, but I think that won't be acceptable for the reason you mention.

OK great, ours is the same.

Thanks for the advice. I've already decided not to use any in-ceiling downlighters as I don't want to compromise the integrity of the soundproofing, as there will be a lot of noise down there!

AIUI if I'm replacing like-for-like PP wouldn't be necessary. Or am I wrong?

Ah I will bear that in mind!

Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben Willcox