Building regs part H (I think!!)

need to connect to a manhole in the garden, main sewer runiing through it, connecting using back inlet gulley and 100mm pipe (i think --- the brown stuff)

easiest way of doing it would mean the pipe would enter from the opposite direction of flow of the sewer, I seem to remember reading this is a no no, but I cant find anyhting relating to it in the regs, otherwise I'd need to place the gulley beyond the manhole and pipe the gutter & sink outlets too it.

anyone know if its OK to do it against the flow? Mr BCO will be seeing it eventually!!

Reply to
Staffbull

Can you have the pipe enter from above ? You would then not be agin' the floo, even through the approach is from the wrong direction. You may need an additional rodding eye. Simon.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It'll be 110 mm.

How deep is the manhole, and at what level is your new pipe? If you can enter the chamber a couple of feet or so above invert level, you can then take a pipe vertically downwards inside the chamber, with a spout at the bottom discharging in the sewer flow direction. The original direction of your new pipe doesn't then matter.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Depth of manhole is around 18", so not very deep!! by the time I take the gulley to ground level the inlet of the discharge pipe would be about 10" down so not leaving me enough room to fit bends etc I dont think. I'll have a play at that though as I would prefer to come at it from the "wrong end" as it would make feeding the sink and downpipe much tidier

Reply to
Staffbull

I think the para you were looking for is 2.53 Part H.

Reply to
robert

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:28:45 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, robert randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Or even 2.14 of Approved Document H (2002).

To the OP; the drain can have slow bends on it, or have a rodding point such as a roddable gully on the branch that can't be accessed from the IC, and come into the main drain at up to 90°.

You say it's a 'main sewer'. Is it a public sewer? If so, you'll need to contact the Sewerage Undertaker (usually your local Water Company), who will usually want their own contractors to make any new connections to the drain or manhole.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Very unlikely to be a main sewer (though posible), it is more likely to be a private drain serving several houses for which you and the others connected are responsible.

Just to add to Hugo's comments.

Reply to
Clot

yep, its a private drain, but serves the whole village, I have it running through 120ft of our garden with 2 manholes, so have tapped into the closest. I say tapped, it took an hour with a 5kg SDS to hack a hole in the wall, only single red brick, jees they were hard!!

Reply to
Staffbull

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:51:05 -0700 (PDT), a particular chimpanzee, Staffbull randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Were any of the properties built before 1937? If so, it could be that the drain is a de-facto public sewer.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Some of the cottages in the village are 300 years old, so yes!

its done now anyhoo, I decided on the longer route of placing it "upstream"

Reply to
Staffbull