building regs for porch

I want to add a porch to the front of my house. It will be within the size not to need planning permission. Do they building regs differ than for an extension etc. If so, how do I know what the regs are ? I mean, if it required 280mm cavity wall and 1 metre foundations, it would be absurd. Anyone who's built a porch help me out ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Quote from Building Regs Explanatory Booklet:

"A porch or conservatory built at ground level and under 30m² in floor area is exempt provided that the glazing and any fixed electrical installation complies with the applicable requirements of the Building Regulations (i.e. Part N 'Glazing - safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning' and Part P 'Electrical safety')."

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Have you finished that extension already?

Reply to
nthng2snet

LOL.

Yes, he's starting the porch now!

Reply to
dg

I think there are extra rules for porches if they are less than 1.5m from the public footpath or road when completed. but can't recall the exact wording off the cuff. Probably something like that planning permisssion is always needed under such circumstances.

john

Reply to
john

John - I think you're talking about Planning Permission, but you've got it wrong. The OP was asking about Building Regulations. These are two separate permissions required under different legislation, and completely different rules apply as to what is exempt and what isn't.

Exemption for porches from the Building Regs is as I quoted above. Exemptions from Planning Permission are listed in the Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995. Porches are permitted unless:

(a) the ground area (measured externally) of the structure would exceed 3 square metres;

(b) any part of the structure would be more than 3 metres above ground level; or

(c) any part of the structure would be within 2 metres of any boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway.

:

(Schedule 2)

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Anyone know if the profile of the existing doorway is

+---=========---+ | | | |

---------------+ +--------------

and a porch was build like this

E F +---=========---+ | | A | | B

---------+-----+ +-----+-------- | G H | | | | | +---------=========---------+ C D

Would the 3m^2 area refer to the rectangle ABCD, or the sum of the rectangles ABCD and EFGH? I would assume the former, on the grounds that you could initially brick up G-H and move the door forwards, then build the porch, but ....

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy, it sounds as though there is already a roof over EFGH. If so, if this roof was added to the original house after 1948 then the area of EFGH uses up some of your allowance and therefore will be included in the total 3 sq m. If the roof was part of the original house then it won't, even though it is open-fronted. (Such is the clarity of the legislation passed by John Selwyn Gummer as Environment Secretary and John Redwood as Welsh Secretary!!!)

Whatever this tells you, you'd be very unwise to just go ahead and build it without checking with the Planners - it's their decision that counts, not yours. There might be a host of reasons why they could decide the GDO should be overruled or doesn't apply. You need to send them a sketch plan and elevation with measurements and ask them to confirm in writing whether the proposal is covered by the GDO. If it is you can put his letter with your deeds and show it to any future purchaser.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

OK that is the case.

I just had a look at the statutory instrument, it does seem less afflicted by legalese than other Westminster products I've had the displeasure of perusing.

Don't worry I don't take legal advice from usenet, the porch was built by a previous owner, I was aware of the 3.0m^2 number, but not sure what was included within it, it would have been over if EFGH counted.

Is there anything which stipulates that the original external doorway can or can't be subsequently removed, thereby making the porch become an enlarged hall?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I stand corrected

john

Reply to
john

So what about glazing with respect to U-value etc. And do I still need a building notice. If so, I guess I just chat to the BCO about requirements.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've finished the extension *and* the 2-storey basement ... ;-) No, I'm putting extensions plans into BCO this week, just got to photocopy sellotaped A4 sheets onto a single A3. If I do lots of plans, I'll need to get an A3 printer I think. I'll take lots of photos etc when I actually start some work. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson