Building Regs For Parking Space

All,

Our house and front garden are about 1m above the level of the road. We have just been granted planning permission to excavate the garden to provide an off-street parking space (retaining walls on three sides, steps leading up to front door, block paving base). The plans we submitted with our application only gave details of the size of the bay we wish to dig out, making no specification as to depth of footings for retaining walls, etc.

Do we need to supply more detail to the Building Inspector and have the work checked at various stages?

Also, any idea how deep the footings for a 1m high wall (double skinned engineering bricks with Cotswold Stone dressing) should be?

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matt Scantlebury

I would apply, the cost will be minimal, it also helps when you sell.

If you read the rgs you can work it out, (or guess it out), the regs are online. When the guy comes to inspect the holes for the foundation treat him as a friend there to help you get it right, not the enemy, he will probably help you get it right.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Your proposed work does not require building regulation approval as it is not controlled work.

Planning dept are not interested in the depth of your foundation as it is outside of their remit.

Foundations should be min 450mm deep, or down to suitable load bearing soil.

dg

Reply to
dg

On 17 Nov 2003 04:43:00 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Matt Scantlebury) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

It depends on whether you need a Building Regulations application or not. The basic thing about Building Regulations is they only apply to buildings. If it doesn't have a roof, it's not a building.

Unless your excavation will adversely affect a building (yours or your neighbours), then no application is required. This is only likely to happen if the depth of your house footings plus the distance from your house footings to the start of your excavation is less than 1m.

About the same as this piece of string.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula