Building regs

I'm currently refurbishing our house over a period of some years. We moved here in 2003 and so far I'm averaging a rather slow rate of one room a year.

Now I've come to the point where I should be getting building regs aproval for some of the work. The jobs I'm thinking of are fitting a wood burning stove and replacing the window/door from the lounge to the conservatory. There's probably other minor things that need aproval as well.

Now the question is should I go the official route and what does it cost bearing in mind that there's going to be a number of jobs, or should I just do it and hope for the best?

I'm concerned that if I apply for aproval for one job, the inspector may see a whole load of others. How reasonable are these guys?

TIA

John

Reply to
John

You might want to check with some sort of safety authority about the chimney, if only for some free advice but the door is between you and yourself to mess with. I wouldn't invite anyone else's attention to it IIWY.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I have this little conundrum every year with my MOT. Should I make sure it is all safe to drive, or just chance it? After all what could happen, it's not as if the car will just fall apart is it?

If you are going to apply, then you apply for all the works in one application , and then ONLY the works applied for are checked - unless you decide to do some other controlled work and the BCO sees it.

And then there is what to do at sale time.

dg

Reply to
dg

Why would you want to get BC involved? If you are doing "building work" then you should notify them, but replacing like for like, general maintenance and decoration does not interest them. That is all you have done isn't it?

If you replace a door and window into your conservatory who is to know? If you must, call BC and ask. All my local building control is documentary proof that the windows I have replaced are up to scratch, and a certificate for my wiring.

If they have nothing better to do than come round to inspect your windows, then why draw their attention to anything else?

The wood burning stove is another matter. Why not bite the bullet and pay for a HETAS registered installer.

tom.harrigan