Building Notices

All pipe on display has to be lagged now.

Reply to
IMM

There is nothing I've noticed preventing the installation of a properly controlled radiator in your airing cupboard.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

True, although since one typically wants to be able to air clothes all year round, it would seem more sensible to use heat that is released from the hot water system pipework to do it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

According to the Approved Document to part L1 (which is only a recommendation anyway) :

Para 1.52

c) insulating the hot pipes connected to hot water storage vessels, including the vent pipe, and the primary flow and return to the heat exchanger, where fitted, to the standard in b) above for at least 1 metre from their points of connection (or they should be insulated up to the point where they become concealed).

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Christian McArdle wrote

And what is the point of that? Plumbed into the CH system it would mean having to switch on the heating for the whole house (and turn up the stat in warm weather) just to air the linen. Plumbed into the HW system what difference would a "properly controlled" rad make over using uninsulated HW pipes - probably less than the amount of gas used to solder the connections. Most of the pipes only get hot when the primary is working or when hot water is drawn off.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

IMM wrote

I am pleased to see you are at last coming round to my way of thinking.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

The radiator could indeed take the form of suitably balanced exposed pipework off the unzoned primary circuit (if the zone valves are in the cupboard). Whack a TRV on it, and it should comply with the regs. It will be more effective when required, but you can easily turn it off when you aren't doing any airing. The use of uninsulated cylinders and pipework in an airing cupboard can waste hundreds of watts, even when you aren't using the energy to do anything useful. Control is the key. Heat what you need to, but no more.

A suitable "radiator", TRV and valves could be got together for about twenty quid. You've probably got the bits lying around in a box somewhere. It will provide a more energy efficient AND more effective solution.

ROI is unlikely to be good enough to do it only for energy efficiency, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Correct. You are coming to see my logic. :-)

Reply to
IMM

British Gas lag the lot inside the airing cupboard.

Reply to
IMM

Probably to hide the mess...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Even with properly lagged pipes and a modern Part L compliant HWC the airing cupboard will still be warm enough above ambient to air cloths adequately.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Presumably in an attempt to cover up the poor workmanship.

I wouldn't hold BG up as a shining example of good working practices or interest in the wellbeing, financial or otherwise of the consumer.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's very concerning......... ;-) .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:15:24 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named Andy Hall randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I keep my blinkers on for that one. If I didn't, I don't think any new house would have had a completion certificate in the last 8 years.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

All new houses I have recently seen have "all" pipes insulated in the airing cupboard.

Reply to
IMM

Latest nonsense I have seen (in Scotland) was a new house where Building Control insisted that all entrances be "accessible". So they have a whacking great ramp leading to their patio doors. It is unlikely to survive issue of the completion certificate by very long.

Reply to
Niall

Where was this? I thought that it was only necessary to have _one_ 'accessible' entrance?

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Don't want to identify it for obvious reasons. Must be some reason why the other entrance doesn't comply. It shouldn't be neccesary to have any if you don't want or need one, it's PC gone rampant.

Reply to
Niall