Building Notices

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:57:03 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

airing cupboard will still be warm enough above ambient to air cloths adequately.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
randomly hit the keyboard and

All pipe on display has to be lagged now.

According to the Approved Document to part L1 (which is only a recommendation anyway) :
Para 1.52
c) insulating the hot pipes connected to hot water storage vessels, including the vent pipe, and the primary flow and return to the heat exchanger, where fitted, to the standard in b) above for at least 1 metre from their points of connection (or they should be insulated up to the point where they become concealed).

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote in message

British Gas lag the lot inside the airing cupboard.

Probably to hide the mess...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Presumably in an attempt to cover up the poor workmanship.
I wouldn't hold BG up as a shining example of good working practices or interest in the wellbeing, financial or otherwise of the consumer.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:15:24 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named Andy

I keep my blinkers on for that one. If I didn't, I don't think any new house would have had a completion certificate in the last 8 years.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this

All new houses I have recently seen have "all" pipes insulated in the airing cupboard.

Latest nonsense I have seen (in Scotland) was a new house where Building Control insisted that all entrances be "accessible". So they have a whacking great ramp leading to their patio doors. It is unlikely to survive issue of the completion certificate by very long.
--
Niall

Niall wrote:

'accessible' entrance?
Sheila
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:23:31 -0500, S Viemeister

Don't want to identify it for obvious reasons. Must be some reason why the other entrance doesn't comply. It shouldn't be neccesary to have any if you don't want or need one, it's PC gone rampant.
--
Niall

randomly hit the keyboard and

As all cylinders sold have to conform to Part L this appear total balls.

IMM wrote

I am pleased to see you are at last coming round to my way of thinking.

Correct. You are coming to see my logic. :-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

He *should* be disinterested (meaning unbiased), I think you meant uninterested. (OK, the USAians use disinterested to mean uninterested but it really doesn't usually mean that over here).

Am interested to know how far back would one have been expected to obtain Building Notices?
We've lived in an old Victorian house for 20+ years and in the first 5years installed a boiler, had rsj's put in where structural walls needed removing, windows installed and have even had the roof reinforced. All major works were designed/supervised by a qualified Structural Engineer - but the Council were never involved; never heard of these things before now. Is this likely to affect us being able to sell the house - which we hope to do next year?
Aiden wrote

Aiden - I'll have a go at answering this although someone more knowledgeable, Tony or Hugo for instance, might know better.
There is no legal obligation to comply with new regulations or changes brought in after the work has been completed. National Building Regulations were first introduced in 1966. They certainly included structural stability, and the requirements for this aspect have not changed since then, or only very little. But the regs for unvented HW & CH systems I think applied from 1992 and the regs for replacement windows and boilers were introduced in April last year. If you had this work done prior to these dates you can truthfully say on the solicitor's enquiry form that Building Regs did not apply. Reinforcing your roof structure does not require Building Regs approval unless it was done as part of a larger project.
So, of the items you mention, probably only the removal of structural walls should have had permission at the time. Strictly speaking you should submit a Regulating Building Notice (with a slightly increased fee) and allow the BCO to come and inspect the work and your drawings and calcs. You may need to expose small areas for inspection if necessary. If all is well, and it sounds like it, then you should receive a formal Approval Notice, and this will put you in the clear when you come to sell.
Peter