Building Notice or not

What are the consequences of not notifying Building Control about notifiable work?

Plumber friend of mine is putting in a unvented system (he has the qualification to do this) and asked me if I knew what the would happen if he didn't put the building notice in.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

If the property owner tries to sell the property (s)he will be asked for proof that the work has been authorised. If the owner cannot produce the documentation then they will have to pay to get it inspected and approved. It is much easier and cheaper to get it done according to the rules.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I cannot understand why he would not notify it. Unless its not being fitted properly.

Rgds Steve (also unvented registered)

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Isn't it up to the potential buyer to decide whether to just go ahead anyway? Obviously their solicitor will huff and puff and say you've _got_ to provide the paperwork, but can't the buyer just ignore that.

Reply to
Peter Lynch

To save the building notice fee presumably.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That maybe so, but there will be many buyers who will take the solicitor more seriously than is warranted.

The cost to someone who is qualified to put a building notice in quite small (£2.50 for me), so why i this guy not doing it? Is it that he really isn't qualified?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In theory yes but it would be stupid to do so.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

If they choose, but then that wouldn't justify an army of latter-day Deryck Guylers advising on these things.

Reply to
Andy Hall

More likely that its a cash job & the building notice would create a paper trail that HMRC could follow.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This all assumes that the vendor even discloses that they had any work done. Depending on what it is, it may or may not be obvious.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nothing. Who is to say?

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mumble mumble done before my time mumble mumble take out 200 quid of contingency insurance and give it to the purchaser mumble mumble. \

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

£2.50! How do you manage that? The cost would be £117.50, hence the question in the first place.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

Of course vendors are often economical with the truth but they will have to give written confirmation that all necessary consnet shave been obtained. Lying could cost them a lot if found out.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

A friend of mine qualified as a Demostic Installer, at some cost to himself, but wound up with very little work.

Since I can't believe that the area he lives in has stopped having electrical work done, it raises the question of how much work in fact get reported/certified.

A run-down repossessed house just down the road from here has been enjoying the attention of a gang of people who work there 18 hours a day. None of them speak English. From the chiselling sounds there's a lot of chasing-out being done. One wonders if these people are following the regs; but it seems they've bought it to do up and flog at a profit.

Has anyone any estimates for what percentage of work gets notified?

Reply to
Terry Fields

OOPS!

ITYKWIM.

Reply to
Terry Fields

I would assume that he is qualified and registered through a company he works for but the registration will not cover him for doing a homer for a mate. Corgi registration normally works this way I believe.

cheers

David

Reply to
DM

As I understand it, if you are Corgi registered through a company the registration only covers work done for that company. Doing a homer for a mate would therefore not be covered.

Cheers

David

Reply to
DM

Not really - an option on most of the query forms for sellers allow "I don't know" or "I can't remember" as acceptable responses.

More to the point there is usually no guidance at all as to what consents one would be expected to get for various improvements. Hence most people will legitimately answer "yes" or "I have no idea" regardless and be none the wiser.

Unless you have a good working knowledge of building regs you are unlikely to even be aware when and where building notices are supposed to have been submitted. What is more this is a moving target - each year more (often increasingly trivial) aspects become notifiable, and it seems the general level of respect for the rules, and the level of interest of the conveyancing solicitors declines in direct response.

For example, a query might be asked as to whether any windows have been replaced, with a follow on note to supply copies of any guarantees that may be in force. No mention is made of regs compliance or FENSA certs.

Reply to
John Rumm