Building movement started again - leaking drains?

When I bought my Edwardian semi three years ago there was some cracking evident where the exterior wall meets the ceiling in my hall and similar cracking in the room above level with the top of a door. The surveyor put it down to past movement. All seemed well until six months ago when my son moved in with me. Until then I had been the sole occupant. I noticed that the front door appeared to be gradually dropping and had to move the catch lower on the door frame. There has been further movement - the door mounted catch is moving down w.r.t the frame mounted side and I have noticed some cracking to the door frame from the outside. The crack in the wall/ceiling has lengthened and now reaches about 25cm back from the front door but is still about 3-4mm wide. My neighbour, a builder who has lived all his life in the road says most of the problems with cracks in walls in the road are down to leaking drains. Certainly the movement seemed to coincide with my son moving in and a consequent increase in water passing into the drains. I am wondering whether I should get a drain video survey done privately in the first instance or if I should tell the insurance company first. I assume that my insurer won't pay for drain repairs and I am uneasy about mentioning subsidence should it affect future premiums regardless of the outcome. If the drains need attention, does anyone have experience of drain lining with plastic. If I need to involve my insurers I assume I need to tell them about the cracks when I bought the house.

Reply to
avinunca

If you didnt your policy may be invalid

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would more be worried about renewing a mortgage in this current climate, but if you have got a long mortgage period to run, ring up your insurance and ask them if you are covered before you put in a claim, if you dont and you try to patch it up, you may find they will not pay up even if you were entitled to compensation. Were there cracks detailed in your home buyers report?

Reply to
House martin

The survey states - about internal walls and partitions - .....Whilst minor cracking was noted , in the kitchen in particular,no evidence of a significant defect was noted. Of the main walls - No evidence of a significant defect was noted. Under Movement - No signs were found of past or present movement in the building

Reply to
avinunca

Are you sure that all the water does actually drain into the foul sewer? In some old house it goes to a soakaway. In mine the bathroom originally (until last month) drained into a soakway right next to the outside wall.

A drain survey is quite cheap and entertaining, why not have one done anyway?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I called a reputable drain company this morning. The woman I spoke to was surprised I wasn't going through my insurer as she said they would pay for the survey. In view of this I decided to contact my insurer. I am waiting for them to call me back once their technical department has been consulted.

Reply to
avinunca

I called a reputable drain company this morning. The woman I spoke to was surprised I wasn't going through my insurer as she said they would pay for the survey. In view of this I decided to contact my insurer. I am waiting for them to call me back once their technical department has been consulted.

Reply to
avinunca

Well my insurers called back. The technical dept have told them I must provide my own report. They won't even come out at this stage.My first ever claim too! I am going to get a drains video done. In answer to an earlier question all water goes into the foul water system. Oddly there is a branch off the manhole in the front pointing to the front garden. It only goes about a metre. I twice found soil in the manhole. After clearing I pulled a spraying hose down the drain from the manhole in the back garden to the front while someone looked for muddy water running into the front manhole. It ran clean. I poured large quantities of water down a drain at the front of the house - again it was clean. I blocked the short pipe with a circle of upvc foam and next morning saw a hole neatly chewed through it .I assume rats were excavating the soil into the manhole. It happened twice but not after I blocked the pipe with stones. There was a lot of soil. Surely rats couldn't have disturbed the foundations.

Reply to
avinunca

Good Luck!

Martin