Building materials continued......

Thanks for all you help in my previous post, after ringing around i found the local builders merchant to be very cheap and helpful. One other question i do have is should i run light/socket cables in conduit within the stud walls? As they would be in direct contact with the insulation could they get to warm and start a fire??

Thanks Tom

Reply to
Tom

I didn't and te BCO never batted an eyelid. They are double insulated already.

Hmm. They are fused at the consumer unit to 6A, and should never get warm enough to do anything.

Rockwool is itself pretty fireproof, as is celotex. Its only polystyrene that is bad news and that won't pass in a wall.

And in any case its unlikely that the cable would be fully enclosed in insulation..you tend to run it inside, our outside, or clipped to a stud, and that helps heat loss considerably.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks very much for your help, it will save me a great deal of time!!! Let construction commence this weekend!!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

There are three main ways of running cables within a stud partition (there are other silly ones).

  1. More than 5cm deep from the wall surface.
  2. In metal conduit
  3. Within the permitted zones (along the top and sides of the wall, or in line with visible electric fittings).

You may need to derate the cable, by up to 50%. See the tables. You might need thicker cable than normal.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle