Building interior windows insulation panels

On 08/11/2013 16:55, harryagain wrote: ...

How do you achieve sufficient air changes in the rooms with the shutters closed?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Insulated shutters. Now there's an idea

Reply to
stuart noble

On 09/11/2013 12:31, MM wrote: ...

It won't look condemned so much as a terrorist cell hideout or a cannabis factory.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Judging by the photos, harry's place was once quite a pretty looking dwelling... shame it lost its charm on the way to getting insulated.

Reply to
John Rumm

heat recovery ventilation would be one option...

Reply to
John Rumm

If you mean *external* shutters, no, they wouldn't. They would not "fit in" with the look of the house.

If you mean *internal* shutters, they would be there permanently, throughout spring, summer and nautumn, too, and I wouldn't want that.

MM

Reply to
MM

Eh? It looks totally fine to me! Charm is perhaps one way of saying you're prepared to freeze your t*ts off in winter?

MM

Reply to
MM

A quick heat check will reveal that no plants are growing there. I can't do much about the terrorists, though. Maybe a sign saying "No terrorists live here" would do the trick. Or did you mean, immigrants?

MM

Reply to
MM

They are only closed by night inWinter. They make no difference to air leaks/changes/draughts. My problem is preventing air changes rather then encouraging them. If you ever have your house tested for air leaks, you will realise this.

Even if you have good draughtproofing, the seals wear out amazing fast. Previously I had never noticed this.

Reply to
harryagain

I considered it. However I have visited lots of houses with it that have shut it down and don't use it. So much heat still escapes, even at 85% efficint (Which I don't believe). Gets worse as the plant gets older, needs electricity, filter and maintenance. So I came to the conclusion it was complete bollix. Conventional houses don't need it, why should I?

Most of my heat loss is draughts, so why do I need it? I know this because winds have the greatest effect on inside temperature.

We have a cooker hood and shower extractor so I expect the most air changes come from that (even when not running)

Reply to
harryagain

It dependson what's in there. With argon it can be more as the gas is more "viscous". The increased gap is the main benifit of argon (if they have it, some don't) Argon is bollix anyway, it soon leaks out. The only time you become aware of leaks is when the dessicant is used up. They can leak for year but you never know until the condensation appears.

Reply to
harryagain

To my eye it is remarkably ugly and characterless.

Just heat the room(s) you are actually using and wear more clothes, as people used to do and some of us still do. According to Government figures, UK energy use has increased significantly since 1972 as a direct result of higher expectations of levels of warmth and heating the whole house.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Not if you have insulated properly. A factory near here was only detected by the smell, when Police attended a property nearby. The heat signature was minimal.

Nope. I have no issue with immigrants. However, constantly obscured windows is one of the indicators that can suggest a terrorist presence.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Because, if you have done the job properly, your house will have a lot less ventilation than conventional houses. Too little air movement can lead to respiratory problems and the Building Regulations set a minimum ventilation rate of 0.3 litres per second per square metre of floor area because of this.

That could simply be the wind chill effect on the walls lowering the effective outside temperature.

That will be inadequate if that is all you have.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In my work I visit quite a few offices. The other day the radiators in one were so hot as to be dangerous, TRVs set at max, and window open because it was too hot.

It seems to me that the majority of desks have some form of electric heating - 2 or 3 kW fan heater, oil-filled rad, etc. - which is on from sometime in September until they goon their summer holidays next year.

As a visitor, who has often walked for some distance and is wearing outdoor clothes, almost every office distressingly warm/hot. As are many shops.

Reply to
polygonum

Done properly they hinge back into recesses in the reveals and just blend in. Modern houses don't have deep enough reveals though, even old ones with deep reveals would have bi-fold shutters each side.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

looking

insulated.

Still looks like a nuclear bunker, particulary inside with those miniscule windows in deep, square, reveals so dim and dingey.

Actually I think the bungalows built as the entreances to the RSG's looked better.

Dave Liquorice

Sounds like an "Iain Duncan Smith" missive to poor people.

MM

Reply to
MM

Actually, it's just common sense. Not so common, these days, though.

Reply to
Huge

On Sunday 10 November 2013 13:28 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Cool - that's marked down for a visit!

Reply to
Tim Watts