Building Control question

I've spend the last five years joining together two three story cottages and have been dealing with the same BCO intermittently. Previously he said that I'd need to fit door closers on all the internal doors (except bathroom) but on his final visit on Friday he claimed not to remember this and that I'd have to fit fire doors to the ground floor.

On Monday I phoned him to make the point that as both the houses were originally three story, this shouldn't be necessary. He said he'd think about it and call me back. It's now Tuesday and he hasn't called.

I know that one can start work after giving 48 hours notice to the BCO, is there a similar time relating to the BCO answering a question like this?

Further relevant guidance also appreciated.

Reply to
Nicknoxx

cottages

remember

Memo to BCO dated XXX, For the Avoidance of Doubt: This is to confirm our conversation of earlier today where you agreed that YYY

Keep filed copies and any replies.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm not familiar enough with the fire regs without checking up, but is it the point here that if it were a new build, then door closers would be required, but you're saying that it's an old house therefore they aren't?

If so I would suggest they will be necessary,as converting two houses into one will constitute the dreaded "Material Change of Use" criterion beloved of BCOs, which means that everything has to be up to current standards, not those prevailing at the time. I once had to rip out and replace an almost-new set of uPVC windows because they didn't come up to modern-day standards, when I was converting one house into two.

Errrr... well what are you waiting for: ring him up yourself then!!

One thing I've learned over the years in my dealings with BCOs is that there's no margin for error: if he comes back in a few weeks' time and you haven't fitted closers, and when asked wny not you say that he never phoned you back so you assumed it would be OK, do you really suppose he's going to say 'Oh yeah, OK then never mind'

Good one: I've used this tack myself in the past. IMHO especially useful when you negotiate something past one BCO, and are worried another BCO might have a different opinion on the matter later on!

David

Reply to
Lobster