building an office

My friend has just bought some new warehouse premises and he has asked me to help him build a new office area in one corner of the unit. The office walls are to be constructed made of 3" x 2" timber frame (2 walls) and the other 2 walls will be be the existing breeze block walls.

The problem I have is what timber to use for the ceiling joists....3"x 2" or

4"x 2" . And how to fix them to the breeze block wall. I dont know whether to use joist hangers or just fix a baton to the wall and screw the ceiling joists to the timber baton. All opinions gratefully received.
Reply to
dIMM

Whether you intend it or not, the possibility that the roof surface of this office will be used for storage can't be ruled out. This, in turn, could mean that, sooner or later, it may be bearing the weight of a person. This may influence your choice of materials, and mode of construction. ;-)

Reply to
nog

Timbert is cheap.

Make em braced 6x3 so you can safely walk on top.

Personally I don't think a lort of hangars. A lot easier top get some expandintg bolts and really solidly fix a lump of 6x3 (not a batten) to ehwall and mount off that...and you can dry line the inside with more

3x2 stud and insulate it as well.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You may also want it to be sound-proofed, so that noise / trucks etc in the warehouse will not mean you cannot talk on the phone in the office. I've been in several of these types of office, and often the noise if awful. But I suppose you warehouse could be storing cotton wool distributed by grannies in slippers ! Simon.

Reply to
Simon

I know a warehouse exactly like that (Croft fabrics). It's a hellishly noisy place, because the team of deaf grannies spend their days listening to Radio Chav at full blast, having been deafened by a youth working in mills and sewing rooms.

Check your rules for fireproofing before you start. If it's commercial premises there'll be a bloke in a tin hat to satisfy, or else your insurers won't like it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They should never have hired him.

Reply to
nog

Joist hangers are best used when they beam is fitted in very tight, one end of yours is free to move as the wall may wobble.

I would go for much bigger timber, I remember loading up the roof of an office like the one you describe, untill sombody pointed out what the walls were made of. Very rapidly we got the stuff down again.

Rick

Reply to
Rick