Building a wooden shed door.

I have just finished resizing and repairing my shed but still have a door to make. I have plenty of off cuts (shiplap tonge & groove) that could be used but must the door `slats` be vertical or can I make a door with horizontal slats. Would this be a weaker door? The door will be approx 6 ft tall and 30 "wide

Reply to
ss

I'd imagine that depends on what you use to mount the slats and how its connected to the hinges. My feeling is that it might let more water in that way around as it flexes, but who knows?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can use the off-cuts horizontally in the door, but the catch is you would have to make a frame for it along the lines of a framed, ledged and braced door (have a look at the DIY Wikki where John Rumm has a drawing) - remember also when you fix the boards, make sure that the "tongues" are on top.

If you prefer to have the short boards vertically, again make a frame as above and fit additional ledges as needed to support the boards.

I wouldn't use the short boards vertically (the only way) for a simple ledged and braced door - unless you used a couple of full length boards on the edges (at least two on both edges) and then infill with the short boards well screwed. If you use all short boards here, the door is likely to be very weak and rather 'bendy' along the middle ledge.

Hope this is of some help

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I was going to say that ;-)

If you prefer to have the short boards vertically, again make a frame as

What he said!

I suppose if you want to use up lots of short bits, you could make a core of the door with a sheet of 1/2" WBP ply, stick a simple ledge and brace on the back of it (i.e. without the frame or the more complex joinery), and then clad the front with your planks to give the illusion of a ledge and braced door.

Reply to
John Rumm