building a wooden lean-to / shed , laws

I am looking to build a wooden lean-to \ shed. This will be attached to the side of my house , approx size 3' x 12 ' . What are the laws about this ? How high can it be before needing planning permission ?
Thanks in advance snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
paul wrote:

Need to be careful if it's going to border a highway, see link. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2631109.stm
Toby.