Building a two story garden building!

Hello

I am looking for some advice on building a garden building! I have read the threads about garden offices but this is on a larger scale!!!

We have a large garden that is split on two layers with the top garden (the smallest) extending from the house.

we are hoping for a brick/block built building measuring about 7m x

12m. For this the top garden will be dug down to the level of the bottom garden and the foundations will be placed! The building will be on two levels with the bottom being a garden shed / bike shed /workshop and the upper layer being a gamesroom/ bar/ gym.

what would be the best way to get this project going? I have never been though this process. do i commision an architec? or just get some outline plans drawn (by who) and submit these to the local planning office?

cheers

anthony

Reply to
antz

You want a 'designer' to prepare plans for [possibly] Planning Approval, and for Buiding Regulation Approval too. Also consider that the plans should be suitably detailed and specified to include internal fit out and finishes.

The designer can be an Architect, or architectural technician, Building Surveyor or Building Engineer.

An Architect will cost you much more money, but will possibly have more 'artistic' ideas. If its just a basic building then use someone from the other professions. An Architect may charge upto 10% of the project cost

Also consider using the designer to project manage the work if you don't want to deal with the builders.

Essentially the designer should: note your requirements assess the site prepare some preliminary designs for your agreement finalise a design (what you want/what you can have) and submit for approval Prepare full working drawings for building. Give a rough cost estimate

Also be aware that the designer should be suitablly experienced to know that what he designs will stand a good chance of being approved by the local Planning dept. Agree an inclusive fee for getting any required approval.

dg

Reply to
dg

i think youll find you need PP for a house.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton