Building a fence

I've just ordered some materials from a local timber merchant to build a small gapped fence. The wood will be pre-cut to the correct lengths. The slats are 6 1/2 feet high and they recommended 3 cross pieces which will be 6 foot wide.

I'm ok on putting up the fence posts as I've done this a few times before with paneled fencing, but does anyone have any recommendations on making up the fence. I have visions of it all being wonky!

Do you attach the cross pieces to the posts and then add the slats or would you make the slats and cross pieces in a panel like structure and then attach them to the posts?

Should I screw the slats to the cross pieces or will nailing them be fine?

Also what's the best way to attach the panels to the posts.

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Moore

Andrew Moore wrote

I assume you're using timber posts. The traditional way of doing it was to cut slots in the posts and shape the ends of the rails to go into the slots. This meant you had to slot the rails in when you were erecting the posts. Nowadays you can buy special galvanised arris rail clips that you nail to the rail and the posts, so you can install the rails after the posts have set. Screwfix supply them

Should I screw the slats to the cross pieces or will nailing them be > fine?

Galvanised nails, preferably 2 at each point. If you can get the grooved sort so much the better.

Also what's the best way to attach the panels to the posts.

See above

HTH Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor