Building a dividing wall between 2 lockup garages

I'm planning to divide an existing concrete block outbuilding into two halves, each of which will become a lockup garage. I plan to keep one and sell the other. For the dividing wall, I'm thinking of using regular 4" concrete blocks (unless anyone here has other cost-effective solutions).

If I use concrete blocks, is it very important to tie the blockwork into the existing front, and back walls of the building - or can I just abut the blockwork up to it, with a straight joint all the way up?

Should I incorporate any piers into the wall, and if so, how many? The wall will be ten blocks long by 10 blocks tall.

Any tips on keeping the cost to a minimum would be appreciated. I plan to build the wall myself, and 'knock the muck up' with a shovel. (Note the correct terminology, which I remember from my days as a brickie's labourer in 1972). (-;

Thank you,

Al

Reply to
AL_z

The wall will need to be "tied in" at either end, and (in my opinion) at a few places across the top if possible.

If you don't tie it in, a good push on the wall could come falling down - and that could be painful physically and in the old trouser pocket!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

You can use a 'wall starter' to tie in the blockwork:

your wall could be about 20' long I would certainly stiffen it with piers at about 6' intervals, or copy the spacings on the outer walls if they have piers.

If you haven't mixed mortar by hand since 1972 you might consider hiring a mixer as you might not find it so enjoyable as you did in your youth.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

If you want to minimise costs you can tie the thing in by putting screws halfway in into the existing walls and sleeving the sticking out half with something soft. Put them in where they end up with the head end in the mortar course of the new wall. Use several of them each end. Not sure how clear that description is, but its certainly cheap.

NT

Reply to
NT