Builders Skip - cost of,

Just paid £130 for a builders skip.

9 out of 10 companies I contacted charged £130; one £150. Seems expensive way of getting rid of a load of rubble, which will probably get sold on as hardcore. Was I done? Any 'skip' know-how out there? Regards, Matthew.
Reply to
Matthew in Worcester

The rate reflects the cost of disposing of it at a licensed disposal site. To do other wise is illegal. When the skip is collected you should insist on a waste transfer note. If you don't report the company to the Environment Agency.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Consider two alternative possibilities:

I've taken tons of rubble to the council tip over the years in my trailer. You need a decent trailer and something fairly hefty to tow it, and you have to shovel the rubble out at the tip, but it doesn't cost much, and I've always been able to get my trailer much closer to the source of the muck than I could have got a skip.

When I had over a hundred tons to shift in a couple of days, I hired a man with a lorry at a "per day" plus "per trip" rate. Plenty of lorries with grabs advertised in our local free ads paper.

-- Kevin Poole

********Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)************** Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - £25/ day. Near Derby. May even tow it for you.
Reply to
Autolycus

FWIW, Hemel Hempstead do not allow hardcore to be dumped at their council waste sites...

AlexL

Reply to
AlexL

I find skip drivers quite amenable to a cash deal - and sometimes their boss too!

Reply to
BAH

Farnborough allow only a car boot full, and in the case of an estate car, the seats must not be folded down nor the hardcore piled up above the bottom of the rear windscreen. You can make multiple visits providing it's not so often you become particularly noticable. At least, this is what they told me 2 years ago when I asked.

I had a large pile of rubble (mostly broken thermal blocks). When a building was demolished up the road, I slipped the demolition gang a fiver, and wheeled it all up the road in lots of wheelbarrow loads, and dumped it on all their rubble. Sorted :-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In London we pay £157.50 (including VAT) for a 10 yard skip. The company cheerfully tells customers over the phone that cash payments do not incur VAT!

Reply to
Jack Wrigley

I just paid £120 in Reading for a 6 yard on street. It had to be a cash deal as I needed it at very short notice (i.e. 20 minutes) on a Saturday on road and they couldn't get a licence on the weekend. It was there less than 24 hours. Unlike the normal case, it was half empty by the morning. It had a lot of good quality (but atrocious taste) furniture in it, including 3 huge wardrobe doors with large sheets of Walnut veneer, which several neighbours were turning covetous eyes to.

Still, at least the estate agent paid for it out of the previous owner's deposit after the house clearers took all the light resalable stuff and left the bulky and nasty bits. We had to cut the sofa up to get it out of the house. It had obviously entered through the (previously) sash windows which had been replaced by 'orrible uPVC casements.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Some price here, North Hampshire. Also if it has to parked on the public highway/pavement theres the extra hassle and expense of a skip licence from the local authority.

Reply to
BillR

Not that I know of; like others have said its down to the cost of getting rid of the waste you put in the skip; I used to work with a qualified landfill expert and he gave me the low-down on getting rid of waste....basically it costs money. Up here in the frozen north it still costs over £100 for a builders skip....

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

depending how muych crap you want to get rid off, Wickes are selling 'a bag that thinks it is a skip' for 6 quid. When full they will collect it for a futher 35quid.

No idea how much it holds though as I only glanced at it, but 40 quid seem reasonable for getting rid of some crap

Reply to
Scott Mills

Sounds like they may be doing 'reverse dumpy-bags' where they give you an empty one, you fill it with stuff and they take it away....not a bad idea if that's the case!

Witchy

You're blooming lucky. I got told: 25 quid for the license and 25 quid for the lights. I think the skip itself was about 65 quid if I could keep it off road, but I can't. I gave up at that point and kept the stuff in my garage and drove it to the dump in 10 trips.

Reply to
tim

what the government tells them to charge:

14.00 GBP per tonne.

But if it's all bricks/cement it's only 2 quid a tonne. But no-one's going to saparate it and if the skip company ran an honesty system it's a certainty someone would abuse it

Tim

Reply to
tim

In message , tim writes

I think they calculate the maximum weight you COULD reasonably put in a skip and charge that price. They then push it all down and compress it

Reply to
geoff

Eh? If you put a ton of waste in a skip and compress it, it will still weigh a ton. It will have a higher density, but not a lesser mass.

Was I missing something in your comment?

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

You are being charged by volume, they are being charged by weight

Reply to
geoff