Builders Skip - cost of,

Just paid 130 for a builders skip. 9 out of 10 companies I contacted charged 130; one 150. Seems expensive way of getting rid of a load of rubble, which will probably get sold on as hardcore. Was I done? Any 'skip' know-how out there? Regards, Matthew.

The rate reflects the cost of disposing of it at a licensed disposal site. To do other wise is illegal. When the skip is collected you should insist on a waste transfer note. If you don't report the company to the Environment Agency.
Tiltbed car transporter trailer hire - 25/ day. Near Derby. May even tow it for you.
Autolycus wrote:

FWIW, Hemel Hempstead do not allow hardcore to be dumped at their council waste sites...
AlexL

Farnborough allow only a car boot full, and in the case of an estate car, the seats must not be folded down nor the hardcore piled up above the bottom of the rear windscreen. You can make multiple visits providing it's not so often you become particularly noticable. At least, this is what they told me 2 years ago when I asked.
I had a large pile of rubble (mostly broken thermal blocks). When a building was demolished up the road, I slipped the demolition gang a fiver, and wheeled it all up the road in lots of wheelbarrow loads, and dumped it on all their rubble. Sorted :-)
--
Andrew Gabriel

I find skip drivers quite amenable to a cash deal - and sometimes their boss too!

On 10 Jul 2003 10:34:42 -0700, matthew snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com (Matthew in Worcester) wrote:

In London we pay 157.50 (including VAT) for a 10 yard skip. The company cheerfully tells customers over the phone that cash payments do not incur VAT!

I just paid 120 in Reading for a 6 yard on street. It had to be a cash deal as I needed it at very short notice (i.e. 20 minutes) on a Saturday on road and they couldn't get a licence on the weekend. It was there less than 24 hours. Unlike the normal case, it was half empty by the morning. It had a lot of good quality (but atrocious taste) furniture in it, including 3 huge wardrobe doors with large sheets of Walnut veneer, which several neighbours were turning covetous eyes to.
Still, at least the estate agent paid for it out of the previous owner's deposit after the house clearers took all the light resalable stuff and left the bulky and nasty bits. We had to cut the sofa up to get it out of the house. It had obviously entered through the (previously) sash windows which had been replaced by 'orrible uPVC casements.
Christian.
Matthew in Worcester wrote:

Some price here, North Hampshire. Also if it has to parked on the public highway/pavement theres the extra hassle and expense of a skip licence from the local authority.
On 10 Jul 2003 10:34:42 -0700, matthew snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com (Matthew in Worcester) wrote:

Not that I know of; like others have said its down to the cost of getting rid of the waste you put in the skip; I used to work with a qualified landfill expert and he gave me the low-down on getting rid of waste....basically it costs money. Up here in the frozen north it still costs over 100 for a builders skip....
witchy/binarydinosaurs
(Matthew

depending how muych crap you want to get rid off, Wickes are selling 'a bag that thinks it is a skip' for 6 quid. When full they will collect it for a futher 35quid.
No idea how much it holds though as I only glanced at it, but 40 quid seem reasonable for getting rid of some crap

Sounds like they may be doing 'reverse dumpy-bags' where they give you an empty one, you fill it with stuff and they take it away....not a bad idea if that's the case!

You're blooming lucky. I got told: 25 quid for the license and 25 quid for the lights. I think the skip itself was about 65 quid if I could keep it off road, but I can't. I gave up at that point and kept the stuff in my garage and drove it to the dump in 10 trips.

(Matthew in Worcester) wrote:

what the government tells them to charge:
14.00 GBP per tonne.
But if it's all bricks/cement it's only 2 quid a tonne. But no-one's going to saparate it and if the skip company ran an honesty system it's a certainty someone would abuse it
Tim

I think they calculate the maximum weight you COULD reasonably put in a skip and charge that price. They then push it all down and compress it
--
geoff

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:19:46 +0100, geoff wrote:

Eh? If you put a ton of waste in a skip and compress it, it will still weigh a ton. It will have a higher density, but not a lesser mass.
Was I missing something in your comment?
Cheers,
Andy

geoff