Builders restricted by Part-P?

Are general builders being restricted by Part-P?

I've had a couple of quotes from builders for some internal work both of whom aree subbing out electric to an electrician. All thats involved is removing and adding a couple sockets. Removing a spur and adding a few lights. All things I would hapilly do myself if "allowed" by my employer.

Surely nuts and bolts stuff like this isn't covered by Part-P?

Reply to
TonyK

| Are general builders being restricted by Part-P? | | I've had a couple of quotes from builders for some internal work both of | whom aree subbing out electric to an electrician. All thats involved is | removing and adding a couple sockets. Removing a spur and adding a few | lights. All things I would hapilly do myself if "allowed" by my employer.

What has your employer to do with DIY work at home?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

To save confusion change the last sentence to read "All things I would normally do myself."

Reply to
TonyK

All together now - "Oh yes it is"

Welcome to Orwellian Britain

Reply to
John

Just scooted about and the offical website says:

A: You do not need to tell your local authority's Building Control Department about: a.. repairs, replacements and maintenance work; or b.. extra power points or lighting points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in a kitchen or bathroom, or outdoors). A list of the work includes:

1) Removing kitchen style extractor fan and terminating the associated spur. 2) Move existing double outlet (surface mounted cable and outlet) 3) Adapt existing single light to provide two separate lights independantly switched. 4) As above elsewhere. 5) Add 3.3Kw storage heater to existing circuit. 6) Add 2 x 850w storage heater to existing circuit. 7) Add 2 x double outlets to existing circuit.

All of this is in sleeping accommodation not kitchens etc *I* interpret this as being covered by the second point, i.e. extra power points or lighting points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in a kitchen or bathroom, or outdoors).

What do you all think?

Reply to
TonyK

I would have thought that is ok...

Of course it could all have been done before April in which case no worries ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

On or around Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:26:36 -0000, "TonyK" mused:

Possibly not, but a lot of builders sub all electrics out anyway as they can't be trusted to wire a plug and it is also safer\easier to just sub the lot out rather than try and get a builder to have to understand part P and electrics and pick and choose jobs here and there.

Reply to
Lurch