Builder quote

Hi there,
I have a large bedroom and am planning to subdivide it into 2 rooms (with a lobby entrance for the new room) and have received a quote for 800 (UK).
This basically covers: 1. supply and fix of stud wall with plasterboard 2. supply and fit of doors 3. lighting alteration.
Does this sound reasonable?
Ta is advance.

Sounds a bit on the cheap side to me, but we're used to getting overcharged in Cambridge:-((..
--
Tony Sayer

"Fig" wrote | I have a large bedroom and am planning to subdivide it into 2 rooms | (with a lobby entrance for the new room) and have received a quote for | 800 (UK). | This basically covers: | 1. supply and fix of stud wall with plasterboard | 2. supply and fit of doors | 3. lighting alteration. | Does this sound reasonable?
Doesn't mention costs of drawing up plans and specifications for building regulations approval, or the council fees for a building regs application. Are you to pay these, or the builder?
Doesn't mention whether wall will be corniced, skirted, finished and painted.
Doesn't mention whether doors will be of a particular quality or to match existing.
Sounds like the spec for what's included is a bit vague.
Owain
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:35:35 +0100, "Owain"

Still not sure about this. It isn't a structural wall, and looking at the definition of building work in section 3 of http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002531.htm#3 it is only a material alteration if the proposed work makes things worse than they are at the moment, and only for the fire regs and access disabled. Alterations to the heating system would need to be done by an appropriate person that can self certify though.

come under the heading of permitted development class A http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1988/Uksi_19881813_en_4.htm
Can you point me at any legislation to the contrary?

Would agree with that :-)

--
John

Sounds very reasonable. Does it include:
-(noise) insulation in the cavities? -thicker (12.5mm) plaster board -skim finish plaster? -a threshold in base of door frame?
and will it be substantial enough to look like part of the structure yet not impossible to move if you or a future occupier want to return to original?
I built a partition recently and had little choice but to use 3" x 3". I'm glad I did since it 'beefed' up the partition considerably. Just a thought.
HTH BAH
800+ has been mentioned more than once on TV programmes (e.g. Property Ladder) for erection of a stud wall.
W.