Budget Multi region DVD players?

Some time ago, I bought an Alba (108?, 108b?) DVD player following a reccommendation on here.

Sadly it has now gone to Silicon Heaven.

Are all the cheapies now capable of playing Multi Region?

I did just look at one on tesco.com for just under 40 notes (I think the same model was recently on offer in the local tesco for just under

30 notes), but it says it's region 2.

What does the team think?

And does it (the team) have any other suggestions?

Looking to spend less than 30 notes if poss

Will be feeding one of our "new" TVs - these are only 12 years old and have SCART which the old ones didn't

SCART seems to have a mind of it's own - spent a long time plugging and replugging till I could get TV, BT Vision, and Video to do what I wanted rather than random thing they wanted!

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

If you buy a known brand you'll probably be able to Google for a 'crack' that will make just about any player do multiregion.

Reply to
nicknoxx

Or just rip the dvds in any computer and dump them out region free on a writeable dvd

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try AVforums.com usually have all the workarounds.

though it's offline for maintenance just at the moment. rusty two

Reply to
therustyone

Mostly...

loads of positive reviews...

Reply to
John Rumm

As a general rule, the cheaper the machine the more likely it is to have the ability to read DVDs from any region - there's no hard and fast rule though, and you're best googling for forum info about specific models.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I have an Alba player (£20 at Homebase, several years ago). Great machine, but little used. Although the box said Region 2, I was pleased to find it was actually multi- (dual?)-region.

My main machine (a now-aging LiteOn) was Region 2, but there was a very easy 'crack' for multi-region. However, some of the modern, better-known (and expensive) makes (Sony, Panasonic etc) don't seem to have a crack. As suggested, do a Google, and check the forums etc, such as:

If a PC objects to wrong-region DVDs, and wants you to change the region (you only get four changes, and you're stuck with the last one), run 'DVD43' before you insert the DVD.

Ian Jackson