Bubbling Keston 25 Problem - Please help

Page 1 of 2
Well, and it was going so well. The system has been working fine since April.
It's an vented system.
My Keston 25 this morning is making noises like a Mad Scientists Laboratory ... bubble bubble bubble.
Symptoms of the Patient:
1. Only some of the rads are heating up, and at best they're getting luke warm.
2. Going outside to the flue, the bubbling sound is more pronounced and the occasional drip of water is coming out of the flue. The normal condensate drain is working.
3. The low water pressure light is intermittently coming on
4. Boiler has problems igniting.
o About to pop up into the loft to check the header tank.
Any more thoughts on what I should check as apart from this I'm at a loss.
Thanks, Steve
Regards, Steve
--
Jack of all trades, master of some

If the condensate trap fails, does it make a bubbling noise and reduce the output of the system?
The bubbling noise is coming out of the 'exhaust' vent.
Thanks, Steve

Does it have water in it?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:58:10 -0000, IMM wrote:

Yup, loads of water, all the rads are full of water + all the bleed points. Don't think there are any leaks as the water in the header tank was nice and 'greasy' from the inhibitor.
Most of the noise is coming from the flue vent going to the outside, sounds like large volumes of air being pumped through water.
Error messages I've had so far are:
1) Ignition Failure. 2) Sensor Failure. 3) Low Pressure.
Oh joys!
Regards, Steve
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:25:28 +0000, StevieBoy wrote:

What about the pump?
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:29:43 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

Pump is integral to the Boiler, when it was firing up, you could feel the temperature difference between the flow and return pipes so I guess this is still working?
Regards, Steve

Auto air vent not working?

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:22:01 -0000, IMM wrote:

Not got one of those in the pipework. There are two bleed points in the airing cupboard and neither of those had any air in. Actually none of the rads had any air in, and never needed to bleed any of them under any circumstances, not sure if this is usual/unusual lucky or unlucky!
Have spoken to Keston and they're coming out tomorrow to take a look.
Many thanks to all who have responded, will update if/when they fix it.
Regards, Steve

There's one on the outlet of the heat exchanger, which can be turned on or off.

To me, it sounded like the combustion chamber has built up a significant amount of water in it, presumably not discharging down the condensate drain for some reason. However, that didn't match all the symptoms you reported. It will be interesting to hear what the cause really is.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 19 Jan 2004 19:20:46 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The cause was (drum roll please) some gunk in the condensate filter thing inside the boiler. As a guide, the engineer said he gets less than one of these problems a month.
Got a full Boiler check into the bargain, water dirtiness (pass), inhibitor (borderline), and tune up of air/gas mixture.
Shame I had to buy a load of electric heaters from Argos to use to keep the house warm, touch wood won't be needing them again but don't have the confidence (or gall) to return them under the 14 day month back guarantee. We'll see how it goes.
At least they came out quickly and the engineer was very pleasant. Counts for a lot.
Regards, Steve

condensate trap? In that case, maybe my guess was maybe right, but I don't see how this could cause low pressure symptom.

--
Andrew Gabriel

On 20 Jan 2004 16:25:47 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Yup, condensate trap. It's on the right hand side about halfway from the top of the unit.
Agreed, I perhaps that whatever was going on in there go bad enough to reduce the flame, as when it was running it was hardly outputting any real heat to the flow. Maybe some of the sensors got wet or did a mild short circuit. We may never know.
Regards, Steve
writes:

Sounds like the flue water full of water, hence the gurgling sounds from the terminal. This would impeded flue flow. Did the fan go off and on intermittently?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:03:28 -0000, IMM wrote:

As far as I am aware, the fan stayed on. Imagine filling a bucket of water, then getting a bit of hose dunking one end in the bucket and blowing air into the other, that's what it sounded like.
(Time to change alias as there's already a "Stevie Boy" on this newsgroup and don't want any confusion "ragworm" it is)
Regards, Steve
Ah that's better.
What was interesting is that had a nice chat with the engineer, and he told me all about his lovely Keston Duet he'd got ... just a shame that particular model was well outside my budget.
Regards, Steve
The Abominable wrote:

Isn't a Duet just a Celsius and cylinder preplumbed together for ease of on-site installation?
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
Ragworm

Yep.

For some reason it is disturbingly more expensive than the two items bought separately.
Keston Celcus 25 = 679 + VAT Keston Spa 200L = 710 + VAT Keston Duet 200L = 2020 + VAT
I can't see a frame and a few pipes and zone valves costing over 600 quid. It sounds pretty easy to install, though. Just connect up electricity supply, room stat, radiator circuit, cold supply, hot outlet, flue (plastic drainpipe), pressure relief pipe and condensate drain and you're ready to commission.
Christian.
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:53:43 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

...and the gas... 8-)
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk