BT Phone Number

Does anyone know what number to phone at BT to speak to someone regarding moving the BT line. I have checked the BT website and cannot actually find a number to ring 8-(

The line on the house I am renovating will need to be moved as it is in the way of the extension that is to be built, so it will need to enter the house elsewhere.

I would have thought that it would have been an easy number to find on the website but not so.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

150 from a BT landline, I think.

Styx

Reply to
Styx

I'm not being funny but that was ridiculously easy to find.

click At Home click Moving Home (!)

0800 800 150 from a non BT phone or 150 from your BT phone

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

150, be prepared to get a second mortgage! R.
Reply to
TheOldFellow

Please let us know if 150 is the correct number.

I still have this same problem. I went to the website and asked via the 'complaints' as it was the only way into BT that I could see. An email a few days later told me to look for a phone number to be found on a plaque on the t.pole. Had a look and no phone number.

mark

Reply to
Mark

150 is the number to call *and* the approximate price in pounds to move a master socket..
Reply to
LSR

Don't bother. BT are the second worst* company anywhere to get hold of on the phone. You go through multiple menus to end up holding on in an interminable queue and, if you do get answered before you give up (10-20 minutes, depending how busy I am and how easy it is for me to leave the phone ringing while I do something else) they often don't do what you ask. I now only write to them - the address is on the bills - which allows me to send them copies of my earlier letters when they get things wrong.

  • Worst is an insurance company that has a voice recognition system that asks 'what can we help you with today', then fails to recognise anything I try and does not have a fallback option when it fails multiple times. They also don't answer emails asking them to contact me.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Last time we moved house in the UK, we wanted BT to transfer the home/business number to the new address. When I eventually got to speak to someone and I gave them the new address they said the address did not exist. I got passed to someone else, then someone else. Every person I spoke to said the address did not exist. Each one asked if it was a new- build so possibly not on their system - I patiently repeated myself each time saying the property was over 100 years old and already had a BT socket on the wall and a wire going to it from a telegraph pole outside.

Eventually they agreed the address must exist so a date was made for an engineer to visit and install a phone line (despite the fact it already had one). The engineer didn't turn up. Another nightmare on the phone with BT saying the missed appointment didn't exist!!! They made another appointment.

They then failed to turn up for this visit - another phone call but at least they acknowledged it was their fault and made yet another appointment

A week later an engineer turned up and put a new BT box on the wall and finally the number worked. Being a home based business I lost over a week of customer enquiries and sales.

BT = Bunch of Tossers

Reply to
David in Normandy

David in Normandy (David in Normandy ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Presumably this was purchased from BT as a business line, giving you the faster response and higher priority they assign to business lines? No? Nobody to blame but yourself, then.

Did the interim measures you'd put in place to ensure continuity of service of the number - transfer to your mobile, p'raps - not work either? Oh. You didn't have any. Nobody to blame but yourself, then.

Reply to
Adrian

That sounds worse than dealing with Dell computers. I tried to contact them once by email about a computer I was thinking of buying from them. It was a minor technical question. In reply I got a massive email that had been generated by what they called a "robot". It listed seven very long answers to the question. However, none of the answers had any relevance to the question I'd asked. Needless to say Dell didn't get the business!

If a company has bad pre-sales service I dread to think what their post- sales support is like.

Reply to
David in Normandy

You sound like you have the ideal "attitude" to work in BT customer services?

Reply to
David in Normandy

David in Normandy (David in Normandy ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You sound like you're trying to pass the buck for your bad planning leaving you stranded...

Reply to
Adrian

BT are of course totally blameless, I should have expected them to completely screw up at every opportunity. Lesson learned.

Reply to
David in Normandy

,

gurgled

I just moved, and BT were excellent. Gave me the new number weeks in advance, delivered my new home hub on the day I asked for, and both the telephone line and the transfer of my internet connection worked from day one.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Mistake in the post code? There is this mythical belief that everywhere has a postcode *and* is a delivery point within that postcode. This is very bad belief and the database that drives it isn't 100% accurate in the first place.

One assumes that you did quite well out of the compensation for loss of business, delayed installation and missed appointments, particularly on the business line. Of course if you don't claim or complain or have evidence of loss of business you have nobody to blame but yourself.

And France Telecom are better?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

David in Normandy (David in Normandy ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Did I say that?

It's not exactly news, is it?

You tell me...

Reply to
Adrian

Seems highly plausible... I once renovated a property which had fallen off the postcode database (having been absorbed into next door), and although I went through all the right channels to get it re-instated when the property became 'stand-alone' again, during the intervening months before it reappeared on every database, I had a hell of a job when it came to getting services connected and having anything delivered.

"Sorry sir, that address doesn't exist"

"I'm b********* standing in it!"

David

Reply to
Lobster

On a similar note, some companies seem to have difficulty with addresses:

When going through my post one day I found a strangers bank statement and utility bill and a covering letter in an envelope - I'd already opened the letter before discovering it wasn't intended for me. Closer inspection showed it was my address and postcode on the envelope but actually marked with the name of someone I'd never heard of. Looking at the address on the persons bank statement and utility bill their address was similar to mine (same street name, house number and county) but with a different town and post code. According to the letter it was from a credit card company saying their application for a card had been accepted and they were returning their documents - presumably used as proof of identity. It seems the credit card company had mangled the address given to them by the applicant and mutated it into my address and post code.

I phoned the credit card company on their free phone number to tell them of their mistake but they refused to talk to me for security reasons. So I forwarded on the letter, utility bill and bank statement to the address on the statement enclosing a note saying it had been sent to my address in error etc.

The following week I got a letter from the card company which was obviously the persons pin number (I didn't open the letter but it was obvious) and returned the letter to sender marked "person not at this address". A couple of days later their credit card arrived. Again I returned it to sender. A week later another letter arrived, again returned to sender. The letters stopped coming after that.

Reply to
David in Normandy

c1984 I moved into a new-build house and hand delivered the change of address details, including post code, to my branch of NatWest (now closed and abandoned because all the other local banks have already been converted to bars etc and no-one can work out how to make money out of another one). A few weeks later I was advised that my (new) mortgage direct debit had failed. It seems that in those pre-internet days someone at NatWest had checked the address in the post code directory and, not finding it because it was too new, had changed it to a similar one 15 miles away. When my bank statements were returned 'not at this address' a stop had been put on the account. Result - very fulsome and abject apology from the bank.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

No cash?

Reply to