BT Junction Box

It's not super important, but in the interests of doing a fairly invisible extension to the main incoming phone line (moving master socket) anyone happen to know if BT tend to use one particular JB over another?

eg

would a BT78A look fairly kosher:

already have the right cable... and I'll do it quick before the excahnge notices a prolonged disconnection.

The other option (which I actually prefer) are 3M/Scotchlok jelly-crimps but I'm not sure if they ever use these indoors?

No lectures on the legalities ta :)

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

(One of which was subsequently checked and ignored by a BT bod checking the line for faults at a later date)

My experience is that they won't notice... Well, not for the length of time it'll take.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Tim Watts formulated on Wednesday :

I would not worry about it at all.

They don't normally use those indoors, but they would be fine in some sort of enclosure.

You are worrying far too much. They turn a blind eye to most things - so long as it works and is not down right dangerous to you or an engineer working on the line.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Exept where the incoming cable has become top short, through being made and remade several times, or where they wish to use divert the incoming pair to another location to shift the NTE5, then return an extension to the original master socket location.

A BT friend gives me handfuls of them from time to time!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks to all :)

It was the BT engineer who lobbed me some cable on the basis it would be obvious the master socket would move (it's kicking around in the loft currently!).

The only desire is to make a joint that noone will quibble over. He already told me to take all the pairs through (4 pair I think the overhead has here) just in case of future faults...

Reply to
Tim Watts

when they checked mine over some years back they tut tutted at my round box and put in something that looks very like the BT35A.

They were happy to use my CAT 5 'extension ' cable tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed but I'm not shifting the POTS NTE or ISDN box from their installed positions during the building work here unless I really have to. The same engineers always work around here and they know where the boxes have been installed and if I get fault...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice brought next idea :

Way back, I used to be an engineer - in those days you would have been shot for touching anything GPO, but things have changed. No one worries too much about anything being moved, providing a proper job is made of it and it is not dangerous.

If you get a fault and it is down to you, just offer tea, biscuits and laugh with the engineer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield