BT CABLE

I am currently on NTL and will keep this line when I move into a rebuilt house. But how would it be possible for BT to "assist" by installing a new cable (Free) from their point (eg roadside) to the inside of the house. I dont want them to supply a telephone service yet... unless they are able to provide a number very similar to my NTL number. I dont want to port my number to BT as that will cause issues with broadband service as well as future number portability.

Can anyone throw any light.

Yaz

Reply to
Yaz

BT like to have a phone terminal in houses, usually new ones. My new house came with one as a socket in the hall, nearly 30 years ago.

I suppose it makes sense to put them in when there is the chance as it is extra business from the property in the future without having the barrier of their daft installation putting customers off.

Reply to
EricP

You would be much better asking in uk.telcom where several Openreach (BT) engineers lurk. If you want a BT line you will have to pay just like everybody else. Each telecom provider has their own blocks of numbers so you will only be able to have one of those.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I very much doubt BT will do it for free. You might be able to get them =

to do it for the standard install fee of around =A3100 but you may also = be tied into a minimum 12 month contract for a line. Give them a call and explain very clearly what you want, it's probably not on the telesales droids script so you'll need to speak to someone with a brain that they =

are allowed to use.

Alternatively build in some suitable conduit and draw string and cross the BT line installation bridge when you need to. Note if the cable is under ground it will be SWA telephone cable around 10mm or more in dia and not very flexable, no inaccessable or sharp bends in your conduit route.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had to pay Bt to install a line and give me a number then port that to NTL so had to pay the istallation fee and line rental untill i could move the number. If its a new house you have to run the ducting ( which they will give you) at least that what we had to do on our selfbuild. Rob

Reply to
rob

Call BT New Sites on 0800 616 866. They may not do it free for a single house, and there might not be much point if you're serviced from a pole anyway.

You might be able to get your NTL number ported to BT as a secondary (call sign) number on the BT line, which should not cause a problem with boardband as the primary number on the BT line would be a BT one.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

BT does not do anything for 'free' anymore. Why should they? They are in business like anybody else, and besides it would be regarded as unfair competition with their competitors.

I assume you mean the house you are going to move to? They should be able to provide you with a telephone number immediately and tell you if a line exists to the property. If the line does not exist, then it is the responsibility of BT to provide a line in normal circumstances.

If you require your NTL number transferring to a BT line, it can be done and vice versa.

Reply to
Saxman

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:35:53 +0100, Peter Crosland wrote (in article ):

No.

Numbers are often transferable between providers

Reply to
Andy Hall