BT Broaband ... terrible service

In article , Rick Hughes scribeth thus

Well go to a decent ADSL provider like AAISP or Zen then they seem to get openreach to get things done..

And if that has been down for 34 days have a good go at Ofcom!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Its a tricky situation. He has a contract with BT BB, and he has no contact with BTW. So BT BB are in breach of contract. (as may be BTW, but that is BT BBs problem). If he lets them off their contractual obligations, then they will probably be quite happy.

I would be tempted to phone your potential new ISP and talk through the situation with them - get some idea of how confident they are they can resolve the situation if you moved to them.

Next I would be inclined to write to BT BB, and give them formal notice they are in breach of contract. Specify that you want the problem resolved by "now + 2 weeks", or you will take further measures to recover your losses.

If there is no resolution, then write again, saying they are still in breach and have not resolved the situation within a reasonable time following your notification. Ask for refund of all monies paid back to the date of your first complaint, a consideration of n quid for your time and hassle, and the immediate issue of a MAC code. State that you will be using the small claims facility to recover all monies owed if necessary.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's why I recommended A&A, someone I know had real problems, getting only a 256 kbps sync rate, and unrelial connections, eventually leading to the ISP withdrawing service and he went back to dial-up, somehow a "red flag" had been placed on his line which meant other ISPs wouldn't accept an order, I directed him to A&A who cheerfully took him on, it took about 3-4 site visits and he now has 1.abit mbps service

On their website they say

"If you are migrating your service to us, even though you know you have a problem with your line, we'll take on the fault. We'll tackle the problem and get it fixed within one month. If we don't then you can migrate away and owe us nothing for your migration to us and your service charges for that month"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bollocks your contract is with BT Broadband to provide you with ADSL service, who or how they do that is not your problem. You have no contract with BT Wholesale (who sell BT services to ISP etc, BT Broadband is just another of their customers) or BT Openreach (who look after the physical network).

So we know they aren't going to improve the service but you have a fault. See if you can get the MSR and FTR numbers from BT Openreach. If you sync speed is below the FTR, they should accept the fault and fix it.

others have said start the formal proceedings for complaint, compensation, and migration. As the fault has been present for 34 days I wouldn't be giving them another 14 days to fannny about with with I'd give them seven days *and* define those as days not working days.

Do a bit of digging and see if you can find the local BT Openreach faults manager. Is there a live email address in the response you had from the planning section? Look at you bill for the snail mail address of the local network office, google. if you see a BT van and man down a hole or up pole, politely ask them if they can provide the infromation, give a bit of background as to why you want it. I find the people down holes/up poles very helpful and generally frustrated by their management. Failing that I'm sure the MD of BT Openreach would love to recieve a letter from you, copied to the local press detailing your tale...

they top people of the two companies and copy in those directors that have responsibilty for customer service and/or management of the faults departments. Snail mail to the registered office address ought to work, if you can't find a better information on those corporate web sites.

But atypical I feel, not that that helps you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, A&A have a good reputation in this respect.

IME, Plusnet are also good in this respect, and IDNet seem quite approachable as well. Probably no coincidence that they all have uk based support staff based at the ISPs office and not a call centre.

Reply to
John Rumm

And Plusnet is of course a BT owned company but fortunately does not seem to have inherited its owners faults (yet!).

Reply to
Tinkerer

I did contact them, and did get a reply (complaints procedure on their website) ... but still not moved on.

I may end up having to cancel contact and take another ISP over same copper, and hope they will put the screws on OpenReach to fix this.

Reply to
Rick Hughes