BT 1571 to be Charged For

True enough except the last "catastrophic failure" of the ISDN also took out the POTS as a farmer dug up and broke the cable... The POTS also provides 4th level net access via a good old dial up modem. Though that would take a fair bit of messing about to get working.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I had a similar situation where a BT engineer^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hemployee had damaged our dropwire at the top of the pole while doing other work. Reported at 9 p.m on a Friday in November, fixed within the hour. Totalcare worked for me!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm seriously thinking about Totalcare. BT seem to have lost the plot when it comes to diverting MSNs due to a fault. The base number is no problem but getting diverts set and unset for any MSNs requires them to go away and think about it for a while and even then they still get it wrong.

I have 8 MSNs but really only use 4 of them so could drop 4 to more or less fund Totalcare. How I get BT to only drop the ones I don't use rather than the ones I do worries me though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have reported a fault at 3 pm on Xmas eve and had it fixed within an hour, it wasn't BT though. Unbelievable as it is, it was Virgin (well telewest).

Reply to
dennis

Anyone using 1571 must hate their friends and family as it costs them money.

STOP USING IT.

But if you must use it inclusive calls count, you know the ones free weekend or evening calls.

Reply to
Mr Me

snipped

So you object to folk who use answering machines as well then ...?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

At least the caller can hang up (within a few rings) and not be charged.

The intended recipient can also use 1471 or some other caller id mechanism to see who called - and return the call at their expense if desired. But I am sure we are not alone in using our answering machine mostly to screen calls - see who it is before answering (if their caller id is visible) or let it go to 'tape' otherwise - and pick up if desired. Other than spammers, we do not actually intend to increase the cost for any callers.

Reply to
Rod

a) The answering machine lets a few rings go by first. b) The answering machine doesn't kick in if the callee is on the phone.

Reply to
Bob Eager

1571 can be useful - I have it switched on - but I also have an answering machine. The main problem from my point of view is that my answering machine picks up calls when I'm out - and I know about them when I get home - but 1571 picks up calls while I'm on the phone, so I don't know I've received them. The only way to know if I have a 1571 message waiting is to press the call button on my DECT phone and see if there is an interrupted dial tone. I don't often do that, as my DECT phone works like a mobile - dial number first and *then* hit the call button. So, I would have to continually keep checking for 1571 messages, which I must admit, I don't do, unless I've been on the phone for a while and am expecting a call. Result - people ring me again later, tell me they left a message and ask why I didn't ring them back!

George

Reply to
George Weston

That interrupted dial tone caught my mother out when she first got 1571. Thought there was a fault - and that is quite understandable IMHO.

Reply to
Rod

Let's compare like with like :-) a) 1571 lets a few rings go by first b) 1571 answers immediately if the phone is in use (much more useful if you are using dial-up internet - for some ;-) )

Reply to
PeeGee

But not for the caller...that's where it is WORSE than an answering machine. As I said, I just don't call people any more if they have 1571. I'd rather get an engaged tone.

If BT didn't insist on charging (a lot) when 1571 answers, without even leaving a message, it wouldn't be so bad. I just hate the marketing spin that touts this wonderful free service..when it isn't, to the caller. And a very small percentage of people still use dialup.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Your choice, I have no preferences :-)

BT charge a lot when an answerphone answers, without even leaving a message.

When you analyse your preferences, the *only* difference between 1571 and an answerphone occurs when the line is in use - otherwise charges and effects are the identical.

Reply to
PeeGee

I have a phone which does it for me by going off hook at regular intervals and turning on a message lamp if it hears a broken tone.

Reply to
Roger Mills