BSP Connector Help

Hello All

I have a 1" BSP male connector (I think!) for the hot and cold water supply to my thermostatic mixer valve. I am trying to find a female connector which will screw into this and allow for a 22mm push fit connection the other side. What is it I need are they called 1" BSP female connectors?

When I RTFM it stated that I needed suitable brass male iron and swivel connectors (not supplied) for both the water supply and outlets, what does that mean, and is this correct considering the hot and cold water connections have a thread?

The outlets which will be plumbed to a diverter valve and the fixed shower head have female 1" connections (BSP?) so I need a male connector which will reduce from 1" to 15mm pushfit.

Help appreciated and TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

This sounds unlikely: all the shower mixers (not many admittedly) I've come across are 1/2" BSP - roughly 3/4" across the threads (when used with iron pipe the pipe has an internal diameter of 1/2" thus the name)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Probably confused the hell out of everyone, anyway I have the solution now.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Are you sure that it's 1" BSP and not 3/4" BSP? The BSP size refers to the nominal *inside* diameter of threaded pipe - so the *outside* diameter is larger than this. 1" BSP has an OD of 1.309" whereas 3/4" BSP has an OD of

1.041"

"Male Iron" and "Female Iron" refer to fittings with male and female BSP threads - even if they are made of brass!

When a male BSP fitting screws into a female fitting, there are two possible ways of achieving a seal. If the fittings are tapered, they seal on the threads - with the help of PTFE tape wrapped round the threads. If they are parallel, the male fitting has a flange - with a washer between it and the face of the female fitting. So you need to know what you have got before buying the other half!

Assuming that what you have is 3/4" and not 1", you can probably connect your male fittings to your pipework using push-fit tap connectors such as Part# 7089 from

Set Square