BS Shaver plugs

What's the point of them?

They're slightly fatter than Europlug pins so won't fit in bathroom sockets when you go overseas, meaning you need to take a travel adapter. Some travel adapters for BS1363 will also accept the round pins of a British shaver plug, but most won't meaning you need to plug a shaver adapter into the travel adapter, how unsafe!

All UK bathroom "Shaver only" transformers will accept a 2-pin Europlug. All UK BS1363 "shaver adapter" plugs will accept a 2-pin Europlug. Shaver sockets overseas in non Euro places (eg Australia where Clipsal is king) will also accept a 2-pin Europlug.

Supposedly the British 2-pin shaver plug will fit in a British round-pin socket, but I've tried a 5 Amp and a 2 Amp socket and it will fit in neither.

So why don't we just abandon the round-pin UK shaver plug and provide new shavers and toothbrushes with a standard 2-pin Europlug instead?

I can see the Daily Mail headline now...

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

I guess this doesn't bug anyone else then :o)

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

It bugs me with my shaver and toothbrush. Need an adaptor just because of a few thou.

Usually manage to force the plug in and struggle to remove it.

Reply to
John

This probably goes back to the time when unearthed "Class 0" appliances were permitted in dry "earth-free" locations, such as a lounge or bedroom with a wooden floor, while in situations such as kitchens, garages, concrete floors etc. three-pin sockets and earthed "Class I" appliances were required. This is still the case in some countries, plugs and sockets being designed accordingly, different two- pin plugs being used for earthed and double insulated ("Class II") appliances.

One very good reason is that a two-pin Continental plug, the ones having 4mm dia. pins that is (there are other types with thicker pins), will fit into the L and N holes of a UK square-pin socket, resulting in a fire risk due to these being often on a 32A fused circuit, the flex being only safe with fusing up to 16A. British Standard sockets are designed to prevent dangerous mis-connections with each other.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

But it's already legal to sell an item with a Europlug on it (4mm) in the UK provided that information is included that states it may not be used in a standard UK socket.

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

There is a fused 13 amp adaptor available which safely accepts Schuko plugs.

is another type of adaptor commonly available of flimsier construction which does not have the socket recessed or any provision for earthing which is best avoided.)

Amazon says it is an adaptor for 2-pin plugs but it also has side contact earth fingers.

It will NOT earth anything fitted with the French/Belgian variant which has an earth pin protruding from the socket (but most devices these days are fitted with a universal plug which fits both types of socket, so it is unlikely to apply)

They are stocked by Wilkinsons for around £1.75 which is much cheaper than mail order!

Reply to
Terry Casey