BS 7671 Amendment 3 Consumer Units

I'm aware that all consumer units from 1st July 2015 should have non-combustible enclosures, with an impression this really means either an all steel CU or a combustible one in a further steel cabinet.

Screwfix and Toolsatan seem to quote having metal DIN rails but that's about it.

Are there any CUs conforming to the Subject line, or are they like hen's teeth or worse have a gold plated price-tag?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Fredxxx

I can see Screwfix do Metal CUs but unfortunately they're all unpopulated.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Steel is combustible, as are all metals!

Reply to
dennis

Much depends on how you define "non combustible" - something that does not support flame and does not melt may meet the definition, and so a flame retardant treated thermosetting plastic may well meet the requirement.

Reply to
John Rumm

The amendment deems steel to be "non-combustible"[1]. It's not clear to me though what if any plastics would count[2]. Or indeed if carbon fibre from the RR factory would do :) Wiring Matters had "There is no published definition for the term 'non-combustible' that aligns with the intent of Regulation 421.1.201."

Of course the drafters may have taken the view "the public don't need to know: we don't want them meddling in these matters; they should just pay a member of one of the guilds".

[1]NOTE 1: Ferrous metal e.g. steel is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material [2] They've already had to "clarify" that plastics which pass the glow-wire test won't do
Reply to
Robin

TLC sell all metal Crabtree ones, very reasonably priced (and the MCBs are rated for use down to 12 volts DC which is why I have some).

Reply to
cl

It will be interesting to see what they do to create "insulated" CUs for TT installs.

Reply to
John Rumm

Seems obvious to me: require an insulated enclosure around the metal CU; with no tool-less access of course for consumers so the CU will need MCBs/RCDs/RCBOs with secure, wireless remote control. Just think of the mark-up on parts when you quote for them :)

Reply to
Robin

The amendment deems steel to be "non-combustible"[1]. It's not clear to me though what if any plastics would count[2]. Or indeed if carbon fibre from the RR factory would do :) Wiring Matters had "There is no published definition for the term 'non-combustible' that aligns with the intent of Regulation 421.1.201."

Of course the drafters may have taken the view "the public don't need to know: we don't want them meddling in these matters; they should just pay a member of one of the guilds".

[1]NOTE 1: Ferrous metal e.g. steel is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material

So no pretty cast magnesium enclosures then :)

Reply to
Gazz

So no pretty cast magnesium enclosures then :)

Damn, sorry for doing a Harry in the last post, i've jusr re-installed win8 to this pooter, and added windows live 2011 to get a half decent mail and news reader, but i forgot this must be the one that doesn't have the option to indent the original message,

Maybe it was the 2010 version i used before, or something.... bugger it.... can't be arsed to switch to chunderbird or other, so for now i'll try to remember to indent manually till i figure it out.

Reply to
Gazz

It is a complete farce, acknowledged by everyone apart from the JPEL64 Committee. There was a podcast last week, which was meant to clarify some of the issues. It didnt, and didnt give any guidance at all on what would or would not comply. Podcast is linked from this page:

A.Lee

All this is due to the increased number of CU fires? All due to the rush to install RCDs and MCBs that catch fire more often than fuses?

Reply to
dennis

No, it's due to poor quality installation on the current crop of poor quality CUs that dont even meet the current British Standard as regards fire rating. (ok, there are a few, but the majority do not comply)

Reply to
A.Lee

Insulation kits for TT installations inside metal clad consumer units have been available for years.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Also down to the mix and match of materials, where even overtightening is said to cause issues. There is also a case where a supplier had 2 screws for each incomer now has just the one, so cutting corners.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I don't see any Crabtree Dual Split / High Integrity ones?

In fact I don't see any Dual Split / High Integrity metal ones. I presume the bus-bars are such that such a CU can't become a Dual Split / High Integrity one just by judiciously moving/connecting bus-bars and neutral strips around?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I have not yet looked myself. However this was in my inbox today

Crabtree StarBreakers have fixed din rail. You need to chose carefully before buying them.

Reply to
ARW

1st Jan 2016. The introduction of reg 421.1.201 was delayed.
Reply to
ARW

I'm fast coming to the conclusion I should get "cheap" populated Schneider from Toolsatan that are dual 80A RCD/High integrity and be done with it!

Is there any issue with using a "combustible" CU in a small industrial unit?

Reply to
Fredxxx