Brush replacement in Bosch WFL2450 Maxx washing machine

Parents 11 year old washing machine stopped yesterday. Symptoms fit with plenty of other reports for that machine saying it's the brushes. Whole program works fine, just the drum never turns (no, not the belt).

Given brushes are cheap, it seems worth a punt so I've ordered some replacement ones and will have to go and fit them at some point.

Anyone know what sort of a job this is likely to be? 15 mins or a stripdown and remove motor job taking ages? Rather go armed with a bit of info :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Dad has prodded one of the brush's he can see and it's going again. Seems a fairly common fault but despite loads of people saying that it's a common failure (fair enough after a fairly hard 11yr life!) but no one mentioning how easy it is to fit them!

I'm 30 miles away from it, snowbound in folkestone at the mo so given the brushes are 6 quid delivered I figured I'd order some, and take a gamble.

Will check it out with meter when I get there. If it's the motor died then I suspect it's dead. Bosch seem to want 300 quid for a replacement! I guess there maybe third party options. That's next to investigate :-)

If it is the motor, then for 14 quid a month (for 12 months) it seems bosch have some sort of repair plan thing that covers parts'n'labour. Free to get them to come diagnose the machine, no fee if they decide it's not worth repairing. will probably suggest that if a quick swap of brushes doesn't fix things.

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Why do people do these things. You could get a bosch machine to take the motor from at a tip or scrapyard for less than =A314.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

How do you get a motor from the tip? No chance of getting anything from our recycling centre - heaven forbid you dare try to recycle something.

Also, my dad has parkinsons so is a bit stuffed doing stuff like this, I'm a fair trek away and 14 quid a month gives them piece of mind that anything else goes pop, and a man from bosch comes and fixes it. I wouldn't dream of it myself, but for my parents, it might be worthwhile...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

After 11 years it is very likely that the brushes are worn out. As they are cheap to replace it's worth trying. One of the brushes is easy to remove, inspect and replace but the other one is hidden on top of the motor and it a real b*gger to do. It is possible to replace without removing the motor with a torch and mirror, but it may be less hassle to remove the motor.

IIRC there are two types of brushes so make sure you get the right ones for your machine.

Reply to
Mark