Brrr! It must be Winter!

Anyone catch the new house selling prog on C4 tonight? It showed a couple with a semi that hadn't shifted in Hastings. But what a difference spending £1,300 on paint, carpets and a good clean-out made. They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely home.

MM

Reply to
MM

Come on. It was a total s**te-hole before he dealt with it.

Reply to
Mike

In message , MM writes

no. is that he one with the estate agent 'house doctoring' houses? I have seen previous programs.

So lovely it wasn't selling?

I never cease to be amazed at how little effort some people seem to put into marketing their home (going on some of the houses I've viewed). We did bit of house doctor job on our house before selling (nothing major, it was by then in pretty good order) repainting a couple of rooms, decluttering a lot, depersonalising a lot, finishing off loads of those round tuits and just generally presenting it in the best light, I'm sure it's one of the reasons it's been the quickest house to get a buyer round here ( there are 5 up in just our street of about 70 houses right now)

Yes, we might say that buyers should see past the crap, but many don't

Reply to
chris French

They always are, but why don't buyers knock 10k off the price, move in, then paint it white?

Owain

(I didn't see tonight's programme, I assume something got painted white, it usually does.)

Reply to
Owain

In article , chris French writes

Reply to
tony sayer

lovely home. ?

It was a typical shit heap that didn't stand a chance of selling in the current market, ie there would always be one better at a lower price. At the end of the last mini Bust period I bought one in even worse condition, the house was full of dogs, cats, rabbits, mice and stunk so much you gagged as soon as you walked through the front door. It was initially up for £210k, they finally accepted £170k and I sold it for £235k, 6 weeks later to a buyer who had precisely viewed the house when it was first on the market. It seems some people just cant see the excrement they are living in. Costs were 1 skip, 25lt paint, 3 weeks work cleaning, striping floorboards, and a bit of gardening.

-- Mark§ This is an automatic signature of unknown origin

Reply to
Mark

Shhhh! that's why those of us who can see past it and are prepared to do the work to smarten it up, buy our houses for less!

- Regards, VivienB

Reply to
VivienB

Quite.

I don't as a general rule watch many of these housey programmes now, but the ones that I have caught (normally as a result of being in same room as SWMBO whilst she's watching one) dismay me with the inane comments of the potential purchasors after the obligatory makeover.

"Wow, it's much better now. I really like the way that the colour of the new rug matches the walls, and those niknaks were just awful". Do they think they're renting a fully-furnished house or something?

I could understand it if they came out with something about how it looks brighter, bigger, could see their furniture fitting in or the likes.

oh well.

Reply to
RichardS

Because the average purchaser wants to move into something that's readt to live in. Let's be honest, without this there wouldn't be a 'renovation' market at all, would there ?

Reply to
Mike

Oh, come now. The place was the acme of designer crap. The kind of thing people would pay thousands to Tracey Emin for. It takes real effort and commitment to produce the final result we saw, and 50 viewers had marvelled at it already. I think any would-be buyer would have been making a sound investment just buying the place 'as is' before the makeover - and acquire a veritable work of art. They could have sold it to Tate Modern for a cool million at least.

MM

Reply to
MM

...and another one! (Note to self: Buy longer fishing line asap.)

MM

Reply to
MM

I haven't actually seen her bed and other crap, but I bet it doesn't actually smell. Even without smell-o-vision, the look of 'I'm about to wretch' on Winter's face showed that house obviously rank.

Reply to
Mike