Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?

The mother-in-law's house had CR Smith plastic windows installed about 23 years ago (before her time). The various oddments of wood that remain were painted a matching brown which now, after all that time, needs to be redone. What would it be? Dulux doesn't seem to have a shade called sh*t in its range.

People talk of Sadolin - is that a paint or a stain? I do think I need a paint - unless the old stuff was a polyurethane with a brown admixture?

I'd dearly love to paint everything white, including the brown plastic - but presumably that is an awkward task too?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

presumably standard alkyd gloss

they do colour matching, but i hear dark red and brown are where it matches worst

Not hard to do, but I'd generally avoid it. Topcoat alone sticks best to pvc. The trouble is, if or when it starts coming off, it looks like crp. It would be choosing yet another ongoing maintenance task.

NT

Reply to
NT

On the front door it looks like a varnish is coming off - someone here said this was the film that carries the pseudo-grain but I will have to scrape it off and put back some varnish. So much easier with wooden windows - mine are 120 years old and can be repaired for ever and replace identically. And double glazing makes little difference to the overall performance of a house - I had it in a previous house - big gap glazing works on sound and heat but is so expensive..

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Dulux Weathershield has a dark brown - "Conker" I think it's called, which I have on some external timber.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Surely with upvc you can just leave it alone, permanently. Except for the odd handle change, sealed unit change, multipoint locking mechanism change etc

NT

Reply to
NT

If only. Looks like cr*p on day 1 and matures the same way but is unrecyclable.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

:

Sure, but doesnt need painting or suffer from rot.

so what

NT

Reply to
NT

But it does - that it what I'm dealing with now - 20 years on. The PVC is matt and peeling.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson