Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
The mother-in-law's house had CR Smith plastic windows installed about 23
years ago (before her time).  The various oddments of wood that remain were
painted a matching brown which now, after all that time, needs to be redone.
What would it be?  Dulux doesn't seem to have a shade called sh*t in its
range.

People talk of Sadolin - is that a paint or a stain? I do think I need a
paint - unless the old stuff was a polyurethane with a brown admixture?

I'd dearly love to paint everything white, including the brown plastic - but
presumably that is an awkward task too?

Geoff

Re: Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?
presumably standard alkyd gloss

they do colour matching, but i hear dark red and brown are where it
matches worst

Not hard to do, but I'd generally avoid it. Topcoat alone sticks best
to pvc. The trouble is, if or when it starts coming off, it looks like
crp. It would be choosing yet another ongoing maintenance task.

NT

Re: Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?

On the front door it looks like a varnish is coming off - someone here said
this was the film that carries the pseudo-grain but I will have to scrape it
off and put back some varnish.  So much easier with wooden windows - mine
are 120 years old and can be repaired for ever and replace identically.  And
double glazing makes little difference to the overall performance of a
house - I had it in a previous house - big gap glazing works on sound and
heat but is so expensive..

Re: Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?
Surely with upvc you can just leave it alone, permanently. Except for
the odd handle change, sealed unit change, multipoint locking
mechanism change etc

NT

Re: Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?

If only.  Looks like cr*p on day 1 and matures the same way but is
unrecyclable.

Re: Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?
Sure, but doesnt need painting or suffer from rot.

so what

Re: Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?

But it does - that it what I'm dealing with now - 20 years on. The PVC is
matt and peeling.

Re: Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?

Dulux Weathershield has a dark brown - "Conker" I think it's called, which I
have on some external timber.

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline