Broken sensor in Boots bathroom scales.

This isn't a weight sensor, its the acoustic sensor that turns the thing on when you tap it. One thundering tap too many has sheared its wire (what a crap design).

Does anyone know what it is and where to get a spare?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't think it's a microphone.

More likely to be a vibration switch?

Can you do an autopsy to be sure?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Google Images 'vibration sensor switch' shows many similar.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Syd Rumpo wrote in news:nsis9h$2sf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Mine has a microphone - it calls it that on the printed circuit. The output causes a transistor to conduct. It once came unsoldered and I found out how it worked.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

What happens if you short the contacts on the pcb? Does the scale turn on?

If it does I'd just replace it with a simple momentary push switch.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Mmm yes it does.

That actually may be a plan.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oddly enough I'd had the same idea. But then SWMBO called me to lunch so you beat me to it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, I have one that talks bought from Amazon for a silly low price, so is it really worth fixing?

I don't know what it does but most tend to just be momentary switches that switch the device on for a couple of minutes then switch it off that timer is part of the scales module chip. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That wold seem to be a bit of an overkill when really you just need to depress one corner and create an event. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its only one of these..

A bit pricey if you ask me.

Reply to
dennis

And you'd lose weight bending down to tap the switch. A noticeable amount if you did it a few hundred times a day.

Reply to
GB

What do you do with the other 49?!

Oh, I know! Sell them on ebay for £1.19 delivered. Each.

Reply to
GB

The Natural Philosopher brought next idea :

Might it be a piezo earphone/ microphone / sounder element? They generate a small voltage when lightly tapped.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I know. I've ordered *one* from, amazon and its tipped me into buying a new soldering iron and solder too..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I got fed up over the years with missus buying all these multi functional, needs batteries type of scales and went back to a mechanical. I never did notice whenever she came in saying she had lost a pound. Mechanical scales have not changed her weight as far as I can see, and more reliable. :-)

Reply to
ss