Broken PCB on combi boiler

I have a fairly ancient looking Vocera Excell 80 SP combi boiler. I just called in a local company to provide a routine service. The company services the council buildings around here, so they are reasonble reputable. As the guy was servicing it, apparently there was a spark from the PCB to a pipe and the PCB (and consequently the boiler) is now non-functional. The service engineer claims it is not his fault and exits as quickly as he can, leaving me with a broken boiler (in Glasgow, in mid February).

I have a few questions

- Do I have a right to go after the servicing company for this? I know accidents can happen, but the fact remains that when he arrived I had a working boiler, and when he left I did not.

- I called British Gas for a few quotes. Apparently it will cost =A3144 to fix the boiler and about =A32500 to replace it. I know I can probably get a better replacement quote. Is it worth replacing it?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
theoryboy

Is that all he said ?.. You saw the spark didn't you ?

Call his company and do not get off the 'phone until you have spoken to someone in a senior position and be assertive without being rude ..

I also am in Glasgow and had a boiler fitted on Tuesday and it failed yesterday and the fitters came this morning and sorted a factory fault so I know what it's like having no CH .

Gas Line in Crow Road .I was impressed with them .

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart B

I didn't see the spark, no. I feel more and more like a plonker for letting the guy get out of my flat with a cheque in his hand.

Still chasing the company (GasCall services). Thanks for the recommendation though.

Peter

Reply to
theoryboy

Heh! What was the cheque for? he came to service the boiler not knacker it.

Reply to
George

No.I meant YOU DID see the spark ..Ye get me .!!!

Reply to
Stuart B

Peter ..Just re-read your post .Gas Line replaced my old Potterton with an Alpha CD32C comdensing combi for £1980.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

And that included a wireless thermostat in the hall.

Reply to
Stuart B

Quite. I wrote the cheque when he'd finished the service. It was in putting the thing back together that he knackered it. I obviously should have got the cheque back, but I was too busy standing there with my gob open.

That will be a lesson to me - don't write the cheque until they insist...

Peter

Reply to
theoryboy

The message from Stuart B contains these words:

And if the fitter says you couldn't have done 'cos you weren't in the room when it happened you've just got him to admit it happened.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com writes

This group appears to be falling over with Vokera Excell 80SPs at the mo.

Having a spark jump from the pcb to a pipe with that boiler would be a bloody good trick as the pcb assembly is completely enclosed in a plastic case. Also this is a constant pilot boiler so no spark generator and no HT to jump long distances. I can understand being in shock after an incident like that but basically the boiler was working when he arrived and was broken when he left, I'd get onto the boss of the firm that serviced it and have words.

The control panel on those just hinges down (after removing a couple of screws) so it wouldn't do any harm to (REMOVE POWER then) lower that and check for wires hanging off (or nicked) and liable to short to casing or pipes.

There's a guy on here does reconditioned pcbs and spares for boilers so that would be a good place to get a replacement but don't go that route unless you feel competent to do the job. He's at

fred

Very helpful advice fred. Thanks for that.

I've got British Gas coming to repair the boiler on Monday. They charge a fixed fee including parts, so replacing the PCB can only cost me =A3144 - no more, no less. I've phone the servicing company four times so far today but apparently the manager hasn't been back to his desk to pick up the message. I'll tear some strips off him next week.

Luckily, my girlfriend is understanding and doesn't mind walking around the flat wearing four jumpers and a woolly hat all weekend :)

Peter

Reply to
theoryboy

What about her bottom half .!!!

Reply to
Stuart B

In article , snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com writes

Call your bank and stop the bloody cheque!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's what I'd ...ot at least get the bank to put a hold on it as the transaction is now disputed . Unless a cheque card was used in which case they won't stop it Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

Mistakes can and do happen. I myself was caught out with a boiler on an RCD last year when the RCD kept tripping. The moisture I introduced was due to my spraying with leak detector looking for the gas leak (the reason for my visit). My response (after whinging about this not having happened to me before and how the boiler should not be on an RCD circuit) was to replace the gas valve at my own expense (ouch!).

I expect that by the book no work should have been taking place on the boiler with the power still on. Invariably the first instruction in the manual is isolate the gas and electric supplies.

As I see it you have every right to get full recompense for this problem. People in this business have to charge enough to cover for the occasional small problem.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

A leg in each arm hole, and easy access through the neck...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Use your imagination !

Dave

Reply to
gort

In article , snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com writes

Thought it sounded a bit of good price but didn't want to concede anything to British Gas, hopefully they won't have any exclusions for their fixed price deals (might be better not to mention it being broken or even looked at by another bod), leastways you'll have a receipt to give the boss of the servicing company when you make your claim.

Sounds like an excuse to stay in bed all weekend ;-)

Reply to
fred