broken light switch with dimmer

Hello,

Yesterday the light in the living room broke, I think I will need to replace the dimmer switch, it's one of the kind where to switch on/off you need to press the button, and to regulate the light you rotate it.

I searched online for a replacement, with keyword "dimmer switch" on ebay) but all I found was complete switches (including buttons, chrome plate and so on) I would like just to replace the actual switch that is inside without changing the whole thing.

Any clues of what I should be searching for to get just the internal bit?

thanks, Giulio

Reply to
Giulio

Dimmer module.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yes - usually held on by a 1/4" IIRC nut around the shaft. Remove knob, undo nut, module falls out of the plate.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.sv.dionic.net:

Or buy a cheap one and swap the innards. I presume you want to keep the front plate.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Is it really just the switch, or does the dimmer just stay full on all the time if you short out the switch bit and turn the knob. If it really is just the switch, what you need to know if the value of the and then find one that fits that also has an integral mains approved push switch. This can be very hard to source and needs some careful soldering to fit it. Even if you could get the whole of the inner pcb and controller, it would probably be more hassle than just getting a new dimmer and fitting that. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I have some one and 2 gang MK dimmers on brass plates. I have had a couple of failures and each time I bought a plastic plate single dimmer and just swapped the module over.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Usually cheaper per unit to buy a two or three gang type and keep the others as spares.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for all the responses, I'll be looking for the dimmer module.

I tried for another switch to get a cheap thing and just use the module, but it turned out that the module was really the cheap bit, and extremely poor quality.

Reply to
Giulio

In that case, I recommend:

I have some - the work beautifully with incandescent and LED lamps.

Pretty sure they have the same module layout.

Reply to
Tim Watts