Broken D/G unit in aluminium door - how to replace?

The door is an aluminuim 2-panel one. The bottom panel is broken. The panels are bedded on rubber gaskets. The door looks as if it comes apart, but a glazier I know said it can be replaced by "slide and shuffle", without entirely dismantling the door, prising out the gaskets and manipulating the pane. Does anyone know anything about this? It seems unlikely to me that this can be done, considering that the glazing unit is both taller and wider than the aperture. The glazier is busy, hence I'm wondering whether I can do it.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

In message , Jerry Built writes

Your door may be different of course, but I recently dismantled an aluminium glazed door in order to transport to the tip. The stiles (vertical bits) were bolted together with 3 long tie rods through the rails (horizontal bits). I think there may have also been a few screws into channels extruded into the inside of the rails. The only way you could have got the glass out was to unbolt one stile and rail completely. The glass panel & gasket then pulled out of the frame. Both gasket and aluminium were heavily ribbed so the two locked together. Basically pop any plastic plugs out of the stiles and see what fixing lurk behind.

YMMV.

Reply to
Steven Briggs