BroadBand OT

At last the UK is getting into the 20th century. Still showing last weeks news though.

Carphone Warehouse are due to announce on Tuesday that they are going to be running a cheap broadband service.

I got a phone call from one of their salesmen last week as I used to be with them until recently. Apparently they are linking with Pipex to give a real bargain. But just what might constitute a bargain depends on the clauses in the contract. Look out for them here:

Carphone Warehouse is expected to unveil a new low-cost UK broadband service tomorrow, offering existing customers of its Talk Talk fixed-line service free high-speed internet access.

And the predicted move is expected to herald a large-scale price war among broadband providers, with industry analysts predicting subscription rates will fall sharply from their present level of between =A315-=A320 a month as a result.

$3=80369.htm(Crap website BTW maybe IE based?)

Anyway, if you have the patience to deal with the BBC try this for more details:

(Don't bother.)

Things to look for:

How much speed and for how long. Means: What do you want it for? Positive service. Do you know how to handle problems without too much help? Telephone numbers. Can you take that and the e-mail address with you? Contract. Will you be tied in? Will they charge you to leave?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

They could be giving away T1 access for free and I'd still tell them to stick it. I refuse to do business with Carphone Warehouse because of their use of Ernest Saunders as a consultant.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think this is a triumph of marketing rather than a sign of their generosity.

As I understand it they will only be providing broadband in about 1000 BT exhanges sometime before 2008, this is about 1/5 of exchanges and covers about 70% population and that itself is no different from the other unbundled providers like Bulldog etc.

They will give you broadband "free" if you buy a line/calls package from them, thereby negating the unbundling as you then have everything back in a single basket again.

What would be really different is a company that would take over your line from BT, and provide you with broadband *without* a phone service and just let you sort out VoIP for yourself, no pretence about "free" anything as part of a package ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But the cost of such a service would be perceived as 'expensive' since it would effectively have to cover rental of the 'line' even without phone service. Probably a marketing disaster!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I suspect the 'fixed' costs of a with voice phone line will only be some ten quid more on each line card, if that, and ongoing costs well under a pound a year.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well just register yourself as a service provider with OFCOM and see what you can do, it's an open market out there...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I'm not saying it would be a great deal cheaper, but I think whoever offered this would (for a change) be ahead of the curve, with BT's 21CN this is effectively the direction they will push people anyway, a data line that you happen to do your voice calls over rather than the other way round ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And don't forget that to be able to get it you will have to be a TalkTalk landline customer. By my calculations they are at least 50% more expensive than my call provider. They claim to be much cheaper than BT - big deal... So fre broadband - not exactly.

Reply to
JoeJoe