British Gas remote control offer

I have just received an offer from British Gas for a discounted price on a remote control system, so that I can call home from my non-existent Smartphone, and change the temperature of my Central Heating. Wow, I'm really un-thrilled about that. I have never needed to do that, and I don't see a need to in the future. Now, if only British Gas would lay supply pipes to this area, that would be really nice.

Reply to
Davey

Fills me with excitement as well NOT. The only people that I think could find this useful and actually save enough money to pay for it in their lifetime would be those living alone and working a very unpredictable, away from home frequently, pattern.

It's a control system the fuel used isn't particularly relevant provided the boiler can be electrically controlled and switches from on/off fairly rapidly.

We used to get flyers through the post quite often telling us the benefits of mains gas central heating and the great free/discounted offer they had on installation. The early ones didn't have a small print clause saying that there needed to be an existing and connected mains gas supply either. The nearest mains gas is more than 2 miles away...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's me - and I would not find it useful nor get excited about it.

But my house gets warm very quickly when I switch the CH on and it never drops below 10 deg inside the house.

Reply to
ARW

It happens that Davey formulated :

We have just received an offer to install, yet another new boiler from a Corgi Gas installer for the second time this month. I though Corgi went a while ago, or am I missing something?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Corgi didn't disappear - simply ceased being the official body for overseeing gas work.

You can see what is happening by looking at their website:

"Given that it has been well over two years since CORGI stopped running the Gas Registration Scheme, the name still positively resonates with people up and down the UK.

CORGI Services Limited aims to align the CORGI brand with businesses that offer services and support to the heating industry.

Today, CORGI operates as CORGI Services Limited (CSL) and is the fund-raising arm of The Gas Safety Trust ? a registered charity.

By capitalising on the proud heritage of CORGI ? and its 92% consumer awareness as a trusted brand ? CORGI Services Limited is able to support industry stakeholders, and provide funds to support the work of The Gas Safety Trust.

Currently the CORGI brand is licensed for use by a carefully selected range of businesses, including insurance, gas certification, vehicle sales, warranties and industry-related product lines.

We welcome you to have a look at our website and the CORGI businesses that currently operate."

of that what you can.

Reply to
polygonum

For a laugh you could reply, asking them if they're Gas Safe registered ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, I built my own system to do that 12 years ago. I don't change temperature (but can), but do turn heating on and off, hot water on, etc. At the time, my job required regularly spending time in the US, and I could turn the heating and hot water back on, on the way home. I still use it all the time, and I believe it very significantly reduces my bills over what they would be without it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That makes sense, I used to be a traveller myself, but the wife stayed home, so there was no need for remote control. Now we're both at home......

Systems to do this have been available from Radio Shark for years. My main point here was that British Gas, who are offering it, can't even be bothered to give us a gas supply, so they are not going to find many takers out here.

Reply to
Davey

It would be useful for my holiday flat. The programmable stat has a 'holiday' mode which enables the heating to be off (but with frost protection) for a specified number of days - but you need to know when you're next going there for that to be useful - and I don't always.

Reply to
Roger Mills