British Gas One-Off Boiler Repair fixed price ceiling ?!?

Hello - I'm having an issue with British Gas (BG) who have been out 6 or 7 times to fix a leak in my= 4 year old Ideal ISAR HE30;-replacing various parts they're damaged in the process!= i.e they blew the PCB and damaged the front cover getting if off!

Now they're left saying its the heat exchanger engine (they fitted a new HE last year)= and won't fit a new one because of how much they're spent and of cost of the part require= d (nearly =C2=A3500).

They refunded my money but are refusing to do anymore work unless I powerflush (a leak= ?) or pay up for a new boiler!?

Anyhow any helpful advice would be appreciated on how to get BG to rectify it, or throw= a new better boileras not had heating or Hot Water for two weeks now! =

Cheers, Todd

url:

e todd

fix a leak in my=

Maybe a moot point, but who fitted it originally ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

to fix a leak in my 4 year old Ideal ISAR HE30;-replacing various parts the= y're damaged in the process! i.e they blew the PCB and damaged the front co= ver getting if off!

HE last year) and won't fit a new one because of how much they're spent and= of cost of the part required (nearly =A3500).

flush (a leak?) or pay up for a new boiler!?

y it, or throw a new better boileras not had heating or Hot Water for two w= eeks now!

correctly? Have you asked Ideal Boilers for their comments? (I wouldn't install any boiler with an Aluminium heat exchanger but that doesn't help you does it)

Reply to
cynic

In message , e todd writes

An ISAR - you poor bastard

Put into context

The user control can blow the module, the module can blow the user control and if the fan stalls, there is no protection on the driver transistors and they expire

If the wind changes direction, the transformer burns out (We've got through 800 this year)

Then take them to the small claims court, or do they have a rider in the contract which allows them to do this

Reply to
geoff

Based on the comments from geoff, not fit for purpose on the boiler.

Did the OP pay by credit card (I know it is a few years, but it still counts)? Does the OP have free legal coverage under house insurance (probably not usable, who knows)? Otherwise I think a small claims is in order on the basis that the first heat-exchanger failed so quickly AND a second is indicated as having failed.

It may be a case of recovering a portion of the original cost & installation cost, at least to offset against a new and better make of boiler - installed by a competent independent rather than BG's typical eye-watering cost sheet?

Small claims costs more than it did, but is effective - particularly when combined with Watchdog inundation.

From reading over the years I can understand why some "posher houses" have two boilers, so if one fails there is always an online backup. Indeed, if on Economy 7 (washer, dryer) it would be worth having a backup electric boiler of say 7kW rating - and having it on a frost- stat so if the boiler fails you don't come home to a wet icebox.

Finished plastering lastnight at about 2am, went outside with bucket full of fresh tap water (8oC). By 9am it had over 2 inches of ice in it, measured by hammer, quite impressive to get that thickness over a few hours.

Reply to
js.b1

Was that a vernier hammer?

Reply to
PeterC

Heh, no I had to smash it - thickness measured to a 2" aluminium angle I use as a long levelling float.

Reply to
js.b1