British Gas HomeCare Ads Banned

British Gas adverts for what it claims is a 365-days-a-year home maintenance service have been banned by a watchdog.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said customers might not get a visit from an engineer on weekends or public holidays because of staff cuts.

The TV and radio commercials said the HomeCare service was "there for you 365 days a year" but the ASA ruled that the ads were "misleading".

British Gas said it was disappointed by the decision and it planned an appeal.

In its verdict, the ASA said: "We concluded that, without qualification to make clear that a skeleton service operated at weekends and on public holidays, the claim 'HomeCare is there for you 365 days a year' could mislead."

Rest of story at

Reply to
Rod

Rod gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I must have imagined getting a visit from them, three hours after the initial phone call, on a Saturday, a month or so back.

Reply to
Adrian

When I used them many years ago their initial call out time was great. It's a shame it always took many visits before they actually fixed the problem. Once it took 13!

Reply to
Mark

That was my brother's experience too. Fitters who hadn't a clue about fixing the actual fault so used the shotgun approach when it came to the electronics in the boiler. None of which they actually carried with them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The fitter diagnosed the fault in about ten minutes, didn't have the part, but arranged it and a return visit for the Tuesday - and temporarily got the boiler back into service there and then. He was only here about 30min total.

Reply to
Adrian