British Gas

> From the OP about Gritish Bas.

No, still cannot find any link in the OP. Thanks for reposting it, that is the first time I have seen it and I agree with the comments.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The plug is on the lead which goes to the windfarm, which they then plug into a socket in the ground - as that is done the house lights up. Therefore the windfarm must logically be supplying power and the plug pins live prior to and after insertion into the socket.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Logically, yes, but BG might be powering the windfarm from a gas-powered TEG in the house to make the most of the high price and excessive profit from the gas.

Reply to
PeterC

It probably isn't producing any power at all. Tey are, after all, only designed to make people feel less guilty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

you've got it the wrong way round. The socket is connected to the grid, and they plug the wind farm in to make the windmills go round, thereby convincing people that they are green and useful objects, rather than white and pachydermatious..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In fact British Gas (Centrica) owns and runs seven power stations in the UK, so they know a fair bit about electricity too!

Richard.

reply by email change 'news' to my forename.

Reply to
Richard Russell

This has to be such a real possibility that I can't imagine their only defence against it is to hope that nobody's doing it. Surely at least they could tie a conductor to earth before working on it.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

i believe they do, at least that's what they do when woring on downed overhead power lines, they also have voltage testers attatched to the dead side that give an audiable warning if power apears on the supposedly dead side, They have to earth the deal line anyway when working on the high voltage cables, as there will be a few thousand volts in the dead cables just from capacitance, from being near the live cables on the stack.

Most of the time they are making emergancy repairs in the underground cables between substations, so working with one side of the broken cable live anyway, so are wearing the relevent safety gear, there's no handy switches every few miles along a cable to isolate the length that's got the fault on it,

Hence why when the power comes back on, it's usually on, off, flicker a bit then on properly, you can imagine the sparks the guy joining the cable back together is making when doing that, prolly helps weld the cable back together.

Reply to
gazz

> From the OP about Gritish Bas.

Maybe if someone does complain to the ASA about this, they should also mention that they are advocating the use of non standard size plugs, that one must be at least 2 feet across!

Reply to
SimonJ

>>> From the OP about Gritish Bas.

Ah, that's BS1363 - the last 2 digits are size of plug in cm.

Reply to
PeterC

Many decades ago when I did National Service (don't ask what that was) I was very often asked by other squaddies to help out with electrical problems. In those days a flat two pin plug and socket were available to extend a cable to an appliance, usually an iron. There was always the clever sod who connected the socket bit to the appliance and the pug to the mains end, and wondered why he got a shock. Then there was the problem that irons have three leads, whereas the two pin plugs had only two connectors (a bit obvious). So what to do with the third wire? Well the obvious thing was to connect two of the wires together, e.g. either green with the red, or green with the black. (That's old colours we're talking about). That meant there was a 50/50 chance that the casing on the iron would be live. Great fun! Then what about the home made kettle? You used a metal bowl. Filled it with water and clipped a crocodile clip to it. You then balanced a coat hanger across it, and dangled a lead over it which had another croc clip fixed to a tin lid. The tin lid of course you dangled in the water. Then you switched on the mains. It actually worked!

Reply to
fido

The Elfins would have a field day today!

Reply to
Clot