British building practices

My wife/brother in-law are building their own house in Somerset ( he's from there). The building regs seem to be different. The building was putting the letter box at the bottom of the front door. In ireland thats illegal , the postmen were hurting there backs, it must be up high. He also tells me , he won't have water tanks & that everything will be fed from the mains, toliets etc. Thats not allowed here either. Thought that was strange.

Reply to
mmurph30

It should be illegal here too. No-one should have low letterboxes. Or if they do they should be made to do a postman's job for a week. It's not necessary.

It is. I believe you can have grey water tanks for toilet flushing in some areas. I believe that all new builds should have them by law.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"mmurph30" wrote | ... The building was putting the letter box at the bottom | of the front door. In ireland thats illegal , the | postmen were hurting there backs, it must be up high.

Maybe we're ahead of you there with the equal opportunities for the dwarf postpeople. That's why the letters take longer to get delivered around christmas-time - all the dwarf postpeople are getting evening jobs in pantomime. And it explains why there is no post delivery at all on christmas day - the dwarfs are sleeping in after a busy night duty helping Santa's elves, who can't cope with the rush on their own.

How do the leprechauns deliver things in Ireland if the letter boxes are up high?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote | No-one should have low letterboxes.

The low letter boxes are harder to widdle through

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It isn't. Its standard on any house with a combi.

Well if you interpret the OP sentence "everything will be fed from the mains, toliets etc." as

"everything will be fed from the mains: Toilets etc."

rather than..

"everything will be fed from the mains toilets, etc."

Its not normal to use toilets as tanks and feeders for your dinking water, even in Ireland.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Never heard of a letterbox rule in the UK (so I suspect it's allowed whereever); there's certainly no problem with not having any water tanks.

David

Reply to
Lobster

At present: