Britains' oldest boiler..

I'll remember the good quality ones for when mine finally gives out.

john2

Reply to
john2

She's an AntiCapitalist! Burn her!

There are a number of ways you can guess the life cycle carbon emissions for a car. One obvious minimum is to neglect the cost of materials of the car totally. For a 7000 pound car, it's obvious that the basic cost is maybe 5000 pounds. If we assume all the cost is labour - and it pretty much is, somewhere along the lines, and the average wage is 5 pounds an hour, then that's

1000 hours of time, or about a month.

In the UK, per capita emission is ~10 tons. So, call it 1 ton of carbon. If it does 50g/Km better than the car it's replacing, then that's

20Km/Kg, or 20000Km/ton.

What's worst case? Well, if that 5000 is LPG, then a ton costs ~300 pounds, and contains maybe 900Kg of carbon, for a total of 15 tons.

Or 200000Km.

It's clear that it must be somewhere in the middle. But, 200000Km is 25000 miles for 5 years, or a 20 mile commute.

So, even at the impossibly high end, it's worthwhile for often used cars.

For low mileage ones, it's nowhere near as clear.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Which when you think about it is what tends to happen anyway... sales rep doing 25K miles / year will probably be given a new car every 18 months or so in order to still be able to get some residual on the used one before it has too high a milage.

Reply to
John Rumm

Even if not repairable, this is workroundable. One method is to wrap a circle of fibreglass tape round the copper cylinder, then resistance wire, then fibreglass, and power this off a transformer. You cant put as much power into that as usual, so it'll be slower recovery, but there'll be plenty to heat it up ok. Note this needs a continuous duty transformer matched to the element. Custom transformers arent expensive.

If its a flat rectangular tank, there are other options. If not, there may still be other options.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A maintenance contract is essential?? Recently had a leaflet offering a boiler only maintenance policy for =A312 pcm =3D =A3144 pa =3D =A33600 over= a

25 year =A31000 boiler life. Only the mathematically challenged would take that up.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Probably 95% of the population then, since they also buy Lottery tickets.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh Dear indeed.

The suitability of an appliance and its reliability is two very different things. You were carping crap about all combis being complex and unreliable. Which is total crap, as it is clear you know swweet FA about them. BTW, in a hard water areas anti-scale measure should fitted no matter what system used. Being in a hard water does not preclude combi usage.

Read again

< snip total misinformation crap >
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Chav, it has been around for a while in Holland, but new here. Don't look you will not understand.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Meanest bastards on earth.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not surprising you say that. They don't tolerate fools or like seeing money wasted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, dear, that's witches.

:-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, a Yorkshireman is a Scot with the generosity squeezed out.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm numerically challenged but wouldn't do it. Have never bought a lottery thing either.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The truth is the truth. Mean bastards. They renowned for it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He is a Cheggers fan you know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What is Feedback?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Just think, Mary.... you and I are among the elite 5%...

Reply to
Andy Hall

FIVE PER CENT???

Of, say, 60,000,000 people that's quite a lot.

Say, round about 120,000.

Heck, I don't like being one of a crowd.

Let's hope my maths isn't right ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Do try to keep up.

Reply to
Guy King

You'd be surprised how many things a good burning works for :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling