Bring teak up from scratch

Hi all,

I have just obtained a really nice sounding pair of loudspeakers finished in teak, but with a few scratches and marks on them. What would you recommend to bring the finish back up and disguise the scratches?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
fredbloggstwo

for big gouges (requires sanding)

Liberon sticks for the smaller stuff.

Reply to
dom

Don't look at them. Concentrate on the listening.

Or, in modernspeak, get a life.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Teak is usually very lightly finished, just with oil at most. So pretty much ignore the scraches and just re-oil with a very light commercial finishing oil, even a non-drying oil. Liberon or Rustin's ranges from someone like

Try it with a wipe of white spirit first - if they're visible because they're white more than because they're deep, then white spirit will hide them temporarily and oil will do it permanently.

If the scratches are really deep, re-sand. If they're impact dents, then you can try a wet teatowel over them and a steam iron (works better for less dense timbers though).

Don't use fillers or heavy film-forming finishes (varnishes, shellac etc.) on teak. Of course you can do this, but you're fundamentally changing the original finish and you're effectively starting from scratch in a whole new direction.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's the first time I've ever heard "Become a HiFi nut" paraphrased _as_ "Get a life", but not the first time I've heard them in adjacent sentences....

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What's up Mary - bad hair day?

Reply to
fredbloggstwo

Thanks Andy - I'll try the oil as the scratches are only on the surface giving them a bit of an unkempt look.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
fredbloggstwo

You misunderstood, I suspect. I'm suggesting that the sound is more important than the look of the thing - unless the poster sits watching the speakers which, to me, seems an odd thing to do.

Or perhaps I misunderstood you :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, you're having a bad finish day/week/month ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher